TIKI-TAKA

Bringing you the beautiful game

Semi Final: Uruguay 2-3 Holland

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
346 replies to this topic

#16   Svengali

Svengali
  • SupportsReal Madrid

Posted 06 July 2010 - 05:10 PM

I think it fits Holland but not Uruguay, I mean they've had very little success bar the gold medals in 1930 and 1950. Back then Uruguay was one of the wealthier countries in the world and the competition wasn't exactly staggering in 1930. The love for football is probably just as big as in Paraguay as in Uruguay.

#17   TjW

TjW

Posted 06 July 2010 - 05:51 PM

I liked this one line I read in the Spanish press:

"Dos países donde el fútbol es la vida"

It's the only explanation as to why two incredibly small countries have had such a huge influence on World Cup football

What does the line mean?

Posted Image

#18   Squibo

Squibo

Posted 06 July 2010 - 06:00 PM

^ "Two countries where football is life"

Interesting fact: A South American side has appeared in all finals with the year ending in a 0; 1930 & 1950 Uruguay won, 1970 Brazil won and in 1990, Argentina were runners up. Can Uruguay keep the streak going?

I actually expect this to be a harder game for the Dutch than the Brazil one as Uruguay are looking likely to be extremely compact and only attacking on the break. The loss of Suarez appears a loss on paper, but it will allow Cavanni to play a more natural role. Whether he can be effective in aiding Forlan will have a significant impact on Uruguay's chances to score. Still, I do anticipate that the Oranje will have enough firepower to edge them over the line, perhaps 1-0, but for my money, this will be a very cagey and at times, a dull affair.

Posted Image

FC Barcelona Official Competitive Goals

Lionel Messi - 315

#19   Resurrección

Resurrección
  • Supporters
  • SupportsClaudia Cardinale

Posted 06 July 2010 - 06:12 PM

I think it fits Holland but not Uruguay, I mean they've had very little success bar the gold medals in 1930 and 1950. Back then Uruguay was one of the wealthier countries in the world and the competition wasn't exactly staggering in 1930. The love for football is probably just as big as in Paraguay as in Uruguay.

They may not have made a huge difference to football, but the fact that they have two World Cup titles behind their name, while the country's entire population is only 3.5 million, is simply amazing.

^ "Two countries where football is life"

Interesting fact: A South American side has appeared in all finals with the year ending in a 0; 1930 & 1950 Uruguay won, 1970 Brazil won and in 1990, Argentina were runners up. Can Uruguay keep the streak going?

I actually expect this to be a harder game for the Dutch than the Brazil one as Uruguay are looking likely to be extremely compact and only attacking on the break. The loss of Suarez appears a loss on paper, but it will allow Cavanni to play a more natural role. Whether he can be effective in aiding Forlan will have a significant impact on Uruguay's chances to score. Still, I do anticipate that the Oranje will have enough firepower to edge them over the line, perhaps 1-0, but for my money, this will be a very cagey and at times, a dull affair.

I believe a South American country has always won when the World Cup was played outside of Europe, there's another stat to favour Uruguay

Derek

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

#20   elkanofan

elkanofan

Posted 06 July 2010 - 06:16 PM

They may not have made a huge difference to football, but the fact that they have two World Cup titles behind their name, while the country's entire population is only 3.5 million, is simply amazing.

I believe a South American country has always won when the World Cup was played outside of Europe, there's another stat to favour Uruguay

What are you, dutch, spainsh or a uruguayo? :unsure:

#21   DutchFanatic

DutchFanatic
  • LocationHawaii
  • Fav PlayersRobin, Bergkamp, Sneijder, Cesc, RvN, Henry
  • SupportsArsenal and Oranje

Posted 06 July 2010 - 06:16 PM

This game is gonna be crazy!
I'm all decked out in orange along with every other dutch person I could find in the netherlands. On paper we're the better team, and we really should be taking this... but I hope our team plays well and finally starts locking together like we know they can.

#22   Hyperdub

Hyperdub
  • Fav PlayersRémy Cabella.
  • SupportsCommon sense.

Posted 06 July 2010 - 06:18 PM

Hmm, after some thought. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Uruguay will win.

#23   El Capitán

El Capitán
  • LocationNc , USA

Posted 06 July 2010 - 06:24 PM

I do not see Uruguay`s GK Suarez :D

#24   Slauson

Slauson

Posted 06 July 2010 - 06:26 PM

Gargano!

#25   la périphérique

la périphérique

Posted 06 July 2010 - 06:26 PM

Hup Holland Hup!!

(Revenge and Justice for Africa :ph34r:)

#26   Jogastar123

Jogastar123
  • LocationBoring old Canada
  • Fav PlayersAll United players, Ronaldo, Pepe
  • SupportsManchester United and the Azzurri

Posted 06 July 2010 - 06:30 PM

Game just about to kick off cant wait, should be a great watch for the neutral. Even though I want Holland to win. Lets go Holland !

I predict 2-1 win for Holland

I do not see Uruguay`s GK Suarez :D

Ahah :P that cheat...

Posted Image

Sig by ralics' ava by cameron

#27   Hyperdub

Hyperdub
  • SupportsCommon sense.

Posted 06 July 2010 - 06:42 PM

lol, Kuyt. Great chance, that.

Linesman has been pretty bad.

#28   Il Statto

Il Statto
  • Administrators
  • LocationEngland
  • SupportsJuventus

Posted 06 July 2010 - 06:44 PM

Reliable defending from Caceres, as per usual.. :rolleyes:

That sort of rash, poor composure, is what I've come to expect from him..

At least he works his socks off though and has a great deal of heart..

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

"A legend like John, Lennon I'm a dreamer... Tried to fuck the world, she only let me finger..."

- Common (The Dreamer)

#29   Hyperdub

Hyperdub
  • SupportsCommon sense.

Posted 06 July 2010 - 06:47 PM

WOW

#30   Svengali

Svengali
  • SupportsReal Madrid

Posted 06 July 2010 - 06:47 PM

fuck