TIKI-TAKA

Bringing you the beautiful game

Did Luis Suarez Cheat?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
89 replies to this topic

Poll: Did Luis Suarez Cheat? (66 member(s) have cast votes)

Did Luis Suarez Cheat?

1. Yes (32 votes [48.48%])

Percentage of vote: 48.48%

2. No (34 votes [51.52%])

Percentage of vote: 51.52%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1   PatrickBrooks

PatrickBrooks
  • Supporters
  • LocationSydney | Porto
  • Fav PlayersCabaye | Ronaldo | Quaresma
  • SupportsNewcastle United | FC Porto

Posted 04 July 2010 - 06:13 PM

Everyone decide it in a poll.

Did Suarez cheat by doing the deliberate handball? Or did he use the rules to his advantage?

I think that Uruguay has been getting alot of stupid comments directed at them and how they shouldnt be there and Ghana should. I mean, anyone in that situation would've done what Suarez did, if it was the other way around I'm sure that whoever was on the line would handball it. Suarez may be facing more than just a one match ban by FIFA for his delibarate handball. He very well knew what he was doing and the punishment he was going to get for it. Took one for the team, if it was done in the 25th or something I'd think it'd be stupidity but in the circumstances he was in, he was just smart.. Alot of people are basically calling him a cheater and what not, in my personal opinion he isn't.

What you think?

Posted Image

Edited by 0, 04 July 2010 - 06:16 PM.

14tarsn.png

#2   Il Statto

Il Statto
  • Administrators
  • LocationEngland
  • SupportsJuventus

Posted 04 July 2010 - 06:16 PM

Did this tin of worms really need to be cracked back open?
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

"A legend like John, Lennon I'm a dreamer... Tried to fuck the world, she only let me finger..."

- Common (The Dreamer)

#3   kusut

kusut

Posted 04 July 2010 - 06:16 PM

Did Suarez cheat by doing the deliberate handball? Or did he use the rules to his advantage?

Is "using the rules to his advantage" another term for "cheating"?

#4   PatrickBrooks

PatrickBrooks
  • Supporters
  • LocationSydney | Porto

Posted 04 July 2010 - 06:17 PM

Did this tin of worms really need to be cracked back open?

In a way yeah, people are still going on about it and how he's a cheater. So basically in a poll I'd like to know what the majority thinks instead of sitting there counting comments.

14tarsn.png

#5   superfrankielampard

superfrankielampard
  • Fav PlayersFrank Lampard
  • SupportsChelsea

Posted 04 July 2010 - 06:19 PM

He did cheat, obviously. It's a sport which is meant to be played with your feet, not with your hands. However, if I was in his place I'd do the same, so I think that he did a heroic act, if he didn't handball it Uruguay wouldn't be in the semi.

Posted Image

#6   Bill Nicholson

Bill Nicholson

Posted 04 July 2010 - 06:20 PM

Yeah, he did cheat. That's the one thing that surely everyone can agree on. The way I see it, players can do it if they want. No one can stop them from cheating, so there's no point trying. If it's to save their team from losing, it just makes it a little more 'admirable' in some people's eyes. I would do it, I know that much. The main issue I have with this is that, although they're doing it for a 'good' reason, it still needs to be punished. As long as FIFA punish it appropriately and the players know the consequences of doing it, and accept them, I guess I can accept it as well.

#7   Squibo

Squibo

Some will say yes, some will say no. Essentially, there's no right or wrong answer - depending on your views that is. This issue is one that should be stopped for now as with seen in the match thread, it splits the forum which only results in arguing and bickering which really do nothing but make the forum look bad. Only in the slight miracle that Uruguay overcome some serious odds and actually win the World Cup should we readdress this incident.

Suarez probably doesn't deserve all the negative publicity he's recieved as essentially, Ghana still were rewarded a penalty, so it's not like the incident went unpunished. I can see why people would label him a cheater however, which goes back to my point of their being no real answer.

Edited by 0, 04 July 2010 - 06:24 PM.

Posted Image

FC Barcelona Official Competitive Goals

Lionel Messi - 315

#8   PatrickBrooks

PatrickBrooks
  • Supporters
  • LocationSydney | Porto

Is "using the rules to his advantage" another term for "cheating"?

Sometimes breaking the rules is part of the rules. What I'm saying is, anyone in his situation would've done the same thing from stopping his country from getting knocked-out. Does he really deserve to be getting all the abuse hes been getting and labelled a cheater? In the end he gave Ghana a chance to win it anyway, they didnt take it. Don't get me wrong, I wanted Ghana to win.. Just don't think Suarez should've be getting all the shit he's getting.

14tarsn.png

#9   Il Statto

Il Statto
  • Administrators
  • LocationEngland
  • SupportsJuventus

Posted 04 July 2010 - 06:22 PM

Some will say yes, some will say no. Essentially, there's no right or wrong angle - depending on your views that is. This issue is one that should be stopped for now as with seen in the match thread, it splits the forum which only results in arguing and bickering which really do nothing but make the forum look bad. Only in the slight miracle that Uruguay overcome some serious odds and actually win the World Cup should we readdress this incident.

Precisely my point. It's a discussion which will cause nothing but arguments, which is what happened/was beginning to happen in the match thread, for which i presume was the reason why it was closed.

My only point to add is that he should've got a 2 match ban, as opposed to the 1, on the grounds of it being unsportsmanlike behaviour. But FIFA showed no balls, as per usual. As for the incident itself, people know my stance on it and i really can't be bothered to run through it once again, as it's a debate which no good can come from due to it being a topic which can lead to people's morals being questioned..

What i will say is this; Luis Suarez has a reputation for being someone who tries to con the referee and his opponents with his antics on a regular basis, including during this World Cup. The handball may have been instinctive, but after watching him and his antics throughout the tournament and in previous games I've seen him play, i very much struggle to see him in any other light than a player who is willing to cheat and break the rules..

I do accept that he's a top quality footballer, but that's just my opinion though.. :)

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

"A legend like John, Lennon I'm a dreamer... Tried to fuck the world, she only let me finger..."

- Common (The Dreamer)

#10   ivan1real

ivan1real

Posted 04 July 2010 - 06:23 PM

Yeah I think he did. Deliberately touching the ball with your hand to stop a goal is cheating. The reason doesn't matter.

#11   Bill Nicholson

Bill Nicholson

Posted 04 July 2010 - 06:25 PM

Moved this to a more appropriate forum.

#12   PatrickBrooks

PatrickBrooks
  • Supporters
  • LocationSydney | Porto

Posted 04 July 2010 - 06:27 PM

Precisely my point. It's a discussion which will cause nothing but arguments, which is what happened/was beginning to happen in the match thread, for which i presume was the reason why it was closed.

Football always involves arguments.. except some immature people start getting personal with others.. I say that in general, not towards anyone on here.

14tarsn.png

#13   Riquelme +10)

Riquelme +10)
  • LocationBuenos Aires, Argentina
  • Fav PlayersRomán Diego Bati Zanetti Masche Tévez Messi Kun
  • SupportsArgentinian NT // Internazionale and Barcelona

Posted 04 July 2010 - 06:27 PM

Of course not.

You all should look up the term "cheat" in a dictionary.

"Sean eternos los laureles que supimos conseguir. ¡Coronados de gloria vivamos o juremos con gloria morir!"

“May the laurels be eternal; the ones we managed to win. Let us live crowned in glory or let us swear in glory to die!”

#14   ArsenalMan

ArsenalMan

Posted 04 July 2010 - 06:28 PM

No he acted on instinct. Anyone who has played the game will understand what he did. I actually handballed the ball twice off the line in different matches. One i got away with it and another i didnt. Was actually threatened by their striker after the game because i stopped a wonderful chip on goal with my hand. Its just your desperation to stop it from going in. You cant rationalise at the moment at all it just happens.

Suarez did it in the biggest stage of them all with virtually the last touch of the game. Its completely instinctive.

Posted Image

#15   Riquelme +10)

Riquelme +10)
  • LocationBuenos Aires, Argentina
  • Fav PlayersRomán Diego Bati Zanetti Masche Tévez Messi Kun
  • SupportsArgentinian NT // Internazionale and Barcelona

Posted 04 July 2010 - 06:35 PM

BTW, FIFA gave him just 1 match ban, as expected. Why should he be given more? He didn't risk the opponent's health, neither the ref's.

Football is not about who should've won or not. The one that scores more goals, wins. DEAL WITH IT.

If you don't like it, then send Blatter an e-mail in order to change the rules. Damn, I read here they were making a comparison to Basketball's goaltending. I think you should play football first, and then comment.

Edited by 0, 04 July 2010 - 06:35 PM.

"Sean eternos los laureles que supimos conseguir. ¡Coronados de gloria vivamos o juremos con gloria morir!"

“May the laurels be eternal; the ones we managed to win. Let us live crowned in glory or let us swear in glory to die!”