TIKI-TAKA

Bringing you the beautiful game

NeoBux

The Gym

1246 replies to this topic

#1   Jim Chickah

Jim Chickah
  • Fav PlayersKuyt, Reina, Gerrard, Torres.
  • SupportsLiverpool

Posted 13 October 2009 - 11:53 AM

Anything relating fitness and health should go in here.

Anyone a regular at the gym?

#2   Becks

Becks
  • LocationNew York
  • Fav PlayersBeckham, Higuain, Casillas, Marcelo
  • SupportsReal Madrid Club de Fútbol

Posted 13 October 2009 - 03:12 PM

Nah but I am starting P90x soon. Anyone else ever tried it ?

#3   GZA

GZA

Posted 13 October 2009 - 03:17 PM

No but they got some serious kick ass infomercials.

Posted Image

#4   Jonesy

Jonesy
  • Fav PlayersOxlade Chamberlain
  • SupportsArsenal

Posted 13 October 2009 - 05:44 PM

It's ok. Nothing special. You are better off making your own routine and following it religiously. You will see better results. From my own experience using P90x, after work outs I wouldn't feel sore at all, but using my own gym workout I can't move my arms the morning after, and if you haven't got DOMS (Delayed onset muscle soreness) the next day, either your not working out correctly or the workout is not intense enough.

"It's not how big you are, it's how good you look."

#5   JudgeMENTAL

JudgeMENTAL
  • LocationVienna, Austria
  • Fav PlayersJack Wilshere, Joe Hart, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
  • SupportsWoolwich FC

Posted 13 October 2009 - 06:41 PM

I've never had a professional trainer or something, but they all say exactly what Jonesy implies here. Different bodies react differently to the intensity. Personal routine is my way to go.
"His performance for Arsenal last year was sensational and I remember Arsene saying to me 'he's a better player than you think' when we concluded the deal and I think he was right"

Sherlock Holmes, 22.04.2013

#6   El Madridista

El Madridista
  • LocationAthens, GA
  • Fav PlayersHiguaín, Ramos, Pepe, Benzema, Ronaldo
  • SupportsReal Madrid

Posted 13 October 2009 - 07:48 PM

Mixed reviews. Personally, I quit a a month and a half into it because it just wasn't right for me.

It's ok. Nothing special. You are better off making your own routine and following it religiously. You will see better results. From my own experience using P90x, after work outs I wouldn't feel sore at all, but using my own gym workout I can't move my arms the morning after, and if you haven't got DOMS (Delayed onset muscle soreness) the next day, either your not working out correctly or the workout is not intense enough.

Totally agree. You have to feel sore to make any gains.

#7   GZA

GZA

Posted 13 October 2009 - 10:03 PM

Hopefully most already know this but after a work out you should always eat protein. Just hard boil some eggs and eat only the white as all those formulas and bars will never be as good as natural protein.

Posted Image

#8   Jim Chickah

Jim Chickah
  • Fav PlayersKuyt, Reina, Gerrard, Torres.
  • SupportsLiverpool

Posted 14 October 2009 - 06:29 AM

Good thing most people think "mmmm yum egg whites! :)" and can eat them with a smile.

Unlike most people I cant stand eggs.

#9   morientesfan910

morientesfan910
  • Moderators
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Fav PlayersVilla, Suarez, Forlan
  • SupportsLiverpool, Valencia, Spain, USA (not really tho)

Posted 14 October 2009 - 07:50 AM

been going for years, every person is different but i know this is universal. work out the arms every other day and the legs on the opposite day. doing it consecutive is bad and wont do much besides tiring yourself out
Posted Image

#10   El Madridista

El Madridista
  • LocationAthens, GA
  • Fav PlayersHiguaín, Ramos, Pepe, Benzema, Ronaldo
  • SupportsReal Madrid

Posted 14 October 2009 - 06:33 PM

Obafemi is right. Less processed food is always better.

#11   Marcus-Antonius

Marcus-Antonius

Posted 14 October 2009 - 09:19 PM

Zercher squats.

That is all for now.

#12   ArsenalMan

ArsenalMan

Posted 30 October 2009 - 12:29 AM

Good to see this thread back. Really been hitting the gym intensely to really put on the mass i need. Starting to mix it up a bit with different workouts to confuse my muscles.

Back Day tommorrow. Going to be intense. Hope to add 10 kg extra to my deadlift.

Last Friday i dead lifted on the same day i had a football game. Next morning my body was destroyed!

Posted Image

#13   Cicinho

Cicinho

Posted 01 November 2009 - 11:30 AM

Hopefully most already know this but after a work out you should always eat protein. Just hard boil some eggs and eat only the white as all those formulas and bars will never be as good as natural protein.

This is false, there is no scientific evidence to suggest that protien from foods is better than protien from shakes or bars. Not to mention all the other stuff thats in foods, fats, carbs ect ect is way more than whats in a shake.

I take 40 grams of protein 3 times per day in the form of a shake. Doing that with food and you would be well fat.

#14   Marcus-Antonius

Marcus-Antonius

Posted 02 November 2009 - 01:36 AM

Ignore the post above.

The protein you get in shakes and bars obviously varies in quantity and quality but take, for example, the best on the market. Something like Reflex Whey. 80% protein, superb, organic ingredients, low carbs, low fat. That's all well and good, but if you just take stuff like that, you miss out on carbohydrates as well as natural sources of fat and certain amino acids which are only present in meat.

Carbohydrates are ESSENTIAL in all sports, especially strength training. Without carbs, your body will not function in the gym. You will be constantly tired, weak, lethargic. Your body will also begin to start using protein for energy rather than for muscle growth and repair.

Fats are essential too. Burning fat for energy is a vital way for the body to sustain itself in periods of heavy lifting.

I could go on. The simple fact of the matter is this: To get big, you must eat big. Supplements are all that they say they are: supplements. Obviously, when you finish up in the gym and your body is crying out for nutrition, a shake is ideal. A shake first thing in the morning is also good for instant protein absorption after your body has been in a catabolic state for hours (assuming you're not an insomniac like me :) ). A shake just before bed, when mixed with milk, can help too. But you need your meat. Lots of it. And you need potatos, pasta, noodles, etc. Preferably fruit and veg too.

#15   Cicinho

Cicinho

Posted 02 November 2009 - 02:02 AM

Ignore the post above.

The protein you get in shakes and bars obviously varies in quantity and quality but take, for example, the best on the market. Something like Reflex Whey. 80% protein, superb, organic ingredients, low carbs, low fat. That's all well and good, but if you just take stuff like that, you miss out on carbohydrates as well as natural sources of fat and certain amino acids which are only present in meat.

Carbohydrates are ESSENTIAL in all sports, especially strength training. Without carbs, your body will not function in the gym. You will be constantly tired, weak, lethargic. Your body will also begin to start using protein for energy rather than for muscle growth and repair.

Fats are essential too. Burning fat for energy is a vital way for the body to sustain itself in periods of heavy lifting.

I could go on. The simple fact of the matter is this: To get big, you must eat big. Supplements are all that they say they are: supplements. Obviously, when you finish up in the gym and your body is crying out for nutrition, a shake is ideal. A shake first thing in the morning is also good for instant protein absorption after your body has been in a catabolic state for hours (assuming you're not an insomniac like me :) ). A shake just before bed, when mixed with milk, can help too. But you need your meat. Lots of it. And you need potatos, pasta, noodles, etc. Preferably fruit and veg too.

Why should you ignore my post? If you want to gain muscle then you should be looking at 1 gram of protien for every pound of weight in your body, daily, 1.5 - 2 grams per lbs in bulking phase. How does burn off all them carbs and that fat, it would be impossible with just food.