#1   Alex Miguel

Alex Miguel
  • Australian Moderators
  • LocationSydney, Australia
  • SupportsPorto, Freamunde, Sydney, Portugal & Australia

Posted 11 October 2009 - 05:53 AM

Posted Image

History
Established in 2004, Sydney FC is one of the most successful clubs in the history of the Hyundai A-League. Champion of the eight-team competition in its 2005/06 inaugural season, fifth representing Oceania in the 2005 FIFA Club World Championship and, after Australia's move into Asia, one of the country's sides in the 2007 AFC Champions League, Sydney FC is at the forefront of the football revolution.

Captained by former Manchester United superstar Dwight Yorke, Sydney FC won the first-ever Hyundai A-League Grand Final in front of a sell-out crowd at Aussie Stadium on March 5, 2006. More than 41,000 people saw Steve Corica net the only goal of the game as Sydney FC beat Central Coast Mariners 1-0 in the championship decider.

Sydney FC travelled to Japan midway through the Hyundai A-League's debut season so as to compete in the 2005 FIFA Club World Championship as the Oceania Football Confederation's representative. Sydney FC acquitted itself and its region with distinction, defeating African club of the century, Al Ahly of Egypt, 2-1 to finish the tournament in fifth.

Talk about Sydney games and news in here. This is the best place to follow Australia's best club side.

#2   Alex Miguel

Alex Miguel
  • Australian Moderators

Posted 12 October 2009 - 08:44 AM

I found these highlights of the Melbourne v Sydney match for those interested. It's a great way to open up the Sydney thread after we managed to beat Melbourne 3-nil at their home ground.

#3   Brett Emerton

Brett Emerton
  • LocationSydney
  • SupportsSydney FC

Posted 15 October 2009 - 02:40 AM

FTT 3-0. :D

Was a stunning performance by Sydney Both Defensively and going forward.
We are starting to develop into real title contenders.
The mentality of our club not only on the field but off has had a huge change in the way we perform.
Our Active Supporters are continuely growing and we have a bright future.

Fwiw, sfcu is very active sydney forum.

Posted Image

#4   Alex Miguel

Alex Miguel
  • Australian Moderators

Posted 15 October 2009 - 03:29 AM

Good to see another Sydney fan here. :) Stick around.

#5   Frketson

Frketson
  • Fav PlayersRosario Dawson
  • SupportsFC Porto

Posted 15 October 2009 - 04:30 AM

I liked bridges goal, nice finish.

#6   Brett Emerton

Brett Emerton
  • LocationSydney
  • SupportsSydney FC

Posted 15 October 2009 - 05:09 AM

I loved how our defense didn't crumble in the 2nd half. We keep composed and held tight.
Melbourne did have some close chances with Bremna and Thompson.

As muscat put very well: "We were beaten by the better side" :D

Looking forward to tomorrows game.

First Time Rudan plays the Sky Blues. Shall be mixed emotions for him. :D

Posted Image

#7   Alex Miguel

Alex Miguel
  • Australian Moderators

Posted 15 October 2009 - 09:10 AM

Match:
16th October 2009, Kick of at 8pm AEDT, 7.30pm Local

Call ups:
1. Clint BOLTON (gk), 2. Sebastian RYALL, 4. Simon COLOSIMO, 6. Karol KISEL, 7. Brendan GAN, 8. Stuart MUSIALIK, 9. John ALOISI, 10. Steve CORICA ©, 11. Kofi DANNING, 12. Shannon COLE, 14. Alex BROSQUE, 15. Terry MCFLYNN, 17. Matthew JURMAN, 19. Mark BRIDGE, 20. Ivan NECEVSKI (gk), 22. Sung Hwan BYUN, 23. Rhyan GRANT
*two to be omitted*

Predicted Line Up:

Bolton

Cole - Ryall - Colosimo - Byun

Kisel - McFlynn - Musialik

Corica

Bridge - Brosque

Preview:
Adelaide haven't been in the best form this season but they are always a difficult side to beat at home. Sydney have been improving every week and they demonstrated their potential against Melbourne last round, comfortably winning 3-0. This match sees the return of Danning, Jurman and Grant from international duty. If Sydney continue their recent form, I can't see Adelaide taking any points from the league leaders.

Prediction: Sydney 1-0.

#8   Brett Emerton

Brett Emerton
  • LocationSydney
  • SupportsSydney FC

Posted 15 October 2009 - 09:17 AM

Posted Image VS Posted Image

Shall be an interesting match.

I'm predicting 2-1.

Adelaide United squad: 1.Eugene GALEKOVIC (gk), 2.Robert CORNTHWAITE, 3.ALEMAO, 4.Iain FYFE, 5.Daniel MULLEN, 6.CASSIO, 7.Lucas PANTELIS, 8.Kristian SARKIES, 9.CRISTIANO, 10.Adam HUGHES, 11.Lloyd OWUSU, 12. Paul REID,14.Scott JAMIESON, 16.Inseob SHIN, 18.Fabian BARBIERO, 19.Mathew LECKIE, 20.Mark BIRIGHITTI (gk), 21.Mark RUDAN
*three to be omitted*

In: Paul REID (returns from injury), Daniel MULLEN (promoted), Inseob SHIN (promoted)

Out: Travis DODD (calf -1 week)

Unavailable: Joe COSTA (knee – long term injury list)

Sydney FC squad: 1. Clint BOLTON (gk), 2. Sebastian RYALL, 4. Simon COLOSIMO, 6. Karol KISEL, 7. Brendan GAN, 8. Stuart MUSIALIK, 9. John ALOISI, 10. Steve CORICA ©, 11. Kofi DANNING, 12. Shannon COLE, 14. Alex BROSQUE, 15. Terry MCFLYNN, 17. Matthew JURMAN, 19. Mark BRIDGE, 20. Ivan NECEVSKI (gk), 22. Sung Hwan BYUN, 23. Rhyan GRANT
*two to be omitted*

In: Kofi DANNING (promoted), Rhyan GRANT (promoted)

Out: Nil

Unavailable: Stephan KELLER (knee – 1 week), Mitchell PRENTICE (back – 1 week)

Posted Image

#9   No Use For A Name

No Use For A Name
  • Members
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia
  • SupportsAdelaide United, Manchester united

Posted 15 October 2009 - 10:41 AM

Didn't realise Dodd was out. That and Danning coming in hardly helps our cause. Good to get Reid back though and Mullen returning from National Team duty will give us more cover at the back. Deep down I think Sydney will win by a single goals but I'm going to predict 1-1, because we're at home and Sydney will still be thinking about the win last week and hopefully overconfident. Has been raining here a lot this week so a wet pitch would probably help Adelaide so I hope it continues.

#10   Unforgettable Fire

Unforgettable Fire
  • Members
  • LocationLondon
  • Fav PlayersDarren Fletcher, Terry McFlynn
  • SupportsSydney FC and Manchester United

Posted 15 October 2009 - 08:59 PM

Sydney need to find that winning momentum to maintain their title charge.

Adelaide have struggled for goals and I don't really see that changing tonight either.

McFlynn's return from injury has been crucial and it has been no coincidence that we have won two from two with him in the side.

Posted Image

#11   Dammel Head

Dammel Head
  • Fav PlayersRyan Giggs
  • SupportsManchester United, Australia, Sydney FC

Posted 16 October 2009 - 12:25 PM

At full time it is 2-1 to Adelaide. They've played over 80mins with 10 men after Barbiero was correctly sent off for hauling down Bridge as he went one on one with Galekovic. Sydney were poor and didn't defend very well from set pieces. Letting a player like Cristiano - who isn't the tallent bloke in the world - two headers is just unacceptable. Bolton should also have done better with the second one. Aloisi showed good striking instinct to put Sydney back in the game at 2-1, but after that it was actually Adelaide who looked most likely to score. Alemao should have scored when he went around Bolton but struck the post, though to be fair it was quite a tight angle.

On a side note, did anybody pay any attention to Brendan Gan? Can someone tell me exactly what he adds to the team? He is small, weak, slow, has a poor touch, passes backwards all the time, never wins headers, and has absolutely shit distribution. If you watch him carefully you will see he lost the ball EVERY time he got it apart from once when he passed backwards. When you are looking to score, why would anybody in their right mind put a player like Gan on the field? When choosing substitutes, you want players who can come on and make an impact, either defensively or attacking depending on the situation. Gan doesn't do anything. Anybody agree?

Australian Manchester United supporters >>>> http://www.ozmufc.com/

#12   Alex Miguel

Alex Miguel
  • Australian Moderators

Posted 16 October 2009 - 08:20 PM

I'm not surprised that we ended up losing after a massive high of last week. Barbiero killed us with that foul. Bridge would have definitely scored. We played alright but we lacked a lot of determination at the front. Adelaide also made it hard to break down.

I can't say I agree with your opinion on Gan. I actually like the kid but I'm not sure if he played well or not last night as I didn't notice. Aloisi is someone who in my opinion adds nothing to the game and I personally would have not put him on.

I'd add more but I'm as tired as a Koala as I was up til about 3am, and I'm meant to be going out tonight. HA!

#13   Dammel Head

Dammel Head
  • Fav PlayersRyan Giggs
  • SupportsManchester United, Australia, Sydney FC

Posted 17 October 2009 - 01:11 AM

At least Aloisi did something of any significance. I watched the game with my brother and we were actually laughing at how bad Gan was. It just seems that something as simple as controlling a ball is a really difficult thing to do. It just bounced off him.

Still, we're top of the table (for now) and we've lost four times already. Just shows how tight and inconsistent the A-League is.

Australian Manchester United supporters >>>> http://www.ozmufc.com/

#14   Alex Miguel

Alex Miguel
  • Australian Moderators

Posted 17 October 2009 - 05:52 AM

That reminds me, my mates and I were all laughing at Aloisi last night. The most that he did all game was clap his hands. Brilliant! Real Madrid should look to sign him up.

#15   Brett Emerton

Brett Emerton
  • LocationSydney
  • SupportsSydney FC

Posted 17 October 2009 - 08:25 AM

One game I'd like to leave behind.
We were poor in defence and the final third. Bad day at the office.
However, if brosque got that One-on-One at the 8th minute it could of quite easily been a different story.
Quite a heartless performance considering we were up against 10 men for most of the game. :(

Hope the boys regroup and get some confidence back and give roar a run for their money.
I'm looking forward to it, especially off the field aswell. ;)

Posted Image