U.S. National Team

408 replies to this topic

#1   Death By 1000 Passes

Death By 1000 Passes

Posted 10 December 2009 - 05:35 AM

Posted Image
2010 U.S. National Team Thread

Posted ImageRoster:
GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton), Marcus Hahnemann (Wolverhampton)
DEFENDERS (7): Carlos Bocanegra (Rennes), Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover), Jay DeMerit (Watford), Clarence Goodson (IK Start), Oguchi Onyewu (AC Milan), Jonathan Spector (West Ham United)
MIDFIELDERS (9): DaMarcus Beasley (Rangers), Michael Bradley (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Ricardo Clark (Eintracht Frankfurt), Clint Dempsey (Fulham), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy), Maurice Edu (Rangers), Benny Feilhaber (Aarhus), Stuart Holden (Bolton), José Torres (Pachuca)
FORWARDS (4): Jozy Altidore (Villarreal), Edson Buddle (Los Angeles Galaxy), Robbie Findley (Real Salt Lake), Herculez Gomez (Puebla)
Coach:
Posted Image
Bob Bradley.
The much maligned Bradley has kept his job since being named the interim coach in 2006 after Bruce Arena's squad's horrid World Cup. Since then, Bradley has fallen under criticism for nepotism, ignorance, and vapid play. However, Bradley has led the stars and stripes through one of their most successful World Cup qualifying campaigns. The Americans took the top spot in CONCACAF qualifying while only losing two games (away to Costa Rica and Mexico). Bradley also has a Gold Cup Championship (2007) to his credit as well as a finalist in the 2009 Confederations Cup. While there will always be detractors from Bradley, this is his squad to take to South Africa.

Formation:
Generally, the Yanks run a 4-4-2:

-----------------------Howard-------------------------
Cherundolo----Demerit----Goodson----Bocanegra
-----------------Bradley----Clark--------------------
--Donovan-----------------------------Dempsey----
-------------------------------Findley-----------------
----------------------Altidore----------------------------

Current injuries:
Jermaine Jones, Charlie Davies

Tactics:
Americans use their athleticism to their advantage. Donovan is deceivingly quick, so they counter-attack and defend in numbers; using Donovan as the outlet along the wings. Michael Bradley in the center of the field might not be the most skillful midfield in the Cup, but he will cover ground and hound players. He covered the most distance of any player during the Confederation Cup. Demerit and Bocanegra are tall center backs that have European experience. Bocanegra is excellent on set-pieces with his head, at one point during qualifying he had registered the most goals on the team. Spector and Cherrundolo are both good at hitting in a cross.
Schedule:
June 12th 11:30 a.m. (PT) England - USA
June 18th 7:00 a.m. (PT) Slovenia - USA
June 23rd 7:00 a.m. (PT) USA - Algeria

Prediction:
Heading into the Cup, the confidence of most in America is a cautious optimism. After being drawn into an incredibly challenging group in 2006, this draw was a sigh of relief. The American fans are clamoring for a shot at the Red Coats in a tournament for many years now, and they will get their opportunity on the twelfth of June. But the tournament is not won or lost in the first game of the group, not much is known about the other two opponents in Group C. Algeria's style has been compared to Egypt which is favorable to the Americans' tactics. Slovenia, as the smallest country in Europe to qualify, was a welcome sight for the fans.
Since the colossal defeat in 1998 in France, 2010 has been the target World Cup. Project 2010, designed by Carlos Queiroz, predicted the Americans would be Semi-Finalists in the World Cup by this year. That is much easier said than done, but with this group, the Americans are very encouraged at the possibility of just advancing from their group.

Tune up games:

January 24th: Honduras (Los Angeles)
March 3rd: The Netherlands (Amsterdam)
May 25: Czech Republic (Hartford)
May 29: Turkey (Philadelphia)
June 5: Australia (South Africa)

USA's Most Beautiful WAG/Weapon:
Posted Image
Sacha Kljestan's lovely girlfriend, Jamie Lee Darley.
Kits:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Ten Things You Should Know about the Stars and Stripes:

• Freddy Adu did not make the team.
  • Jermaine Jones (the German American) did not make the team.
  • Edgar Castillo (the Mexican-American) did not make the team.
  • Tim Howard is the most underrated keeper in the world.
  • Yes, we are all concerned about Jozy's lack of playing time with Hull.
  • Landon Donovan is the most valuable player for us, no question.
  • Charlie Davies did not make the team. Herculez Gomez and Robbie Findley are fighting for his spot.
  • Bob Bradley needs a top 4 finish to keep his job.
  • Ching is terrible.
  • It takes more than 20 hours to get to South Africa from America, and flights cost more than $2,000.

#2   morientesfan910

morientesfan910
  • Moderators
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Fav PlayersVilla, Suarez, Forlan
  • SupportsLiverpool, Valencia, Spain, USA (not really tho)

Posted 10 December 2009 - 05:56 AM

Don't forget Casey, as Bradley is high on him now and Casey shows that he can score when given time rather playing little minutes like before. And Cooper has a goal every other game for the Yanks. I personally think ching will be a reserve at this cup like the last one
Posted Image

#3   Death By 1000 Passes

Death By 1000 Passes

Posted 10 December 2009 - 06:24 AM

Casey did not look very effective against Slovakia. I am not convinced that he is ahead of Ching right now. I hate Ching, and I think he is a waste of space up top. However, I don't think Casey is much better, but until Ching and Casey are both healthy for a game and Casey gets the start over the Hawaiian, I am going to believe it is Ching's name penciled in. Obviously, they are both terrible consolations to Charlie.

And Cooper getting hit with another injury sucks for him and us. But injuries are a part of the game, and hopefully he can get back to form quickly.

#4   morientesfan910

morientesfan910
  • Moderators
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 December 2009 - 09:41 AM

that is true, and with cooper, i heard he may be back in time, I sure hope so
great post by the way

Posted Image

#5   Death By 1000 Passes

Death By 1000 Passes

Posted 10 December 2009 - 07:46 PM

It would be nice to have Cooper. He is a very good weapon cause I don't think anyone believes he is as strong and as fast as he is until they see him play. And he was doing so well in Germany. I would easily start him over Ching and Casey but who knows with Bradley.

And thanks!

#6   Death By 1000 Passes

Death By 1000 Passes

Posted 11 December 2009 - 06:56 AM

#7   morientesfan910

morientesfan910
  • Moderators
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 December 2009 - 08:16 AM

loved it, I wish Nowak was still assisting
Posted Image

#8   Death By 1000 Passes

Death By 1000 Passes

Posted 30 December 2009 - 08:14 PM

Onyewu is in rehab currently and he says he will be back in March. That gives him three months before the World Cup to get game fit. I like it.

Davies is walking again, his path is going to be longer and harder than Gooch to get ready again. Jury is still out on return date.

Edu is set to debut with Rangers some time this week.

In recap: the boys are back in town.

#9   morientesfan910

morientesfan910
  • Moderators
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 December 2009 - 10:16 PM

any news on the outside shot to go:cooper? did he tear a ligament or menisicus or was it a sprain?
Posted Image

#10   Death By 1000 Passes

Death By 1000 Passes

Posted 01 January 2010 - 08:41 PM

I thought his injury was minor as in only out a month or two. I haven't been able to track down any recent news on him though. Hopefully he will be back in action after the break.

#11   Mike

Mike
  • Fav PlayersKate Upton
  • SupportsArmenia NT, Real Madrid C.F. USMNT, LA Galaxy

Posted 18 April 2010 - 10:16 PM

Edson buddle has to be called up!

7 goals in 4 games!

unc1Fut.jpg

#12   Telmo

Telmo
  • LocationMontijo, Portugal
  • Fav PlayersLuís Figo, Nani, Messi, Veloso and Quaresma.
  • SupportsSporting CP & Portugal National Team.

Posted 19 April 2010 - 12:48 AM

"Freddy Adu likely won't make the team. "

Ouch

#13   Silky Johnson

Silky Johnson
  • Supporters
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Fav PlayersDonovan, Keane, RVP, Rooney, Bradley, Altidore.
  • SupportsManchester United, Los Angeles Galaxy, and USMNT.

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:10 AM

If Klejstan makes the team Bob Bradley needs to have his head checked.

Is it possible that we could have Onyewu fit? The prospect of Bornstein playing or even going to a world cup gives me nightmares.

---------------Howard
Spector-Onyewu-Demerit-Bocanegra
Donovan-Edu-Bradley-Dempsey
---------Altidore-Davies

Providing everyone is fit...if not.
Goalie
Backline
Beasley-Edu-Bradley-Dempsey
------Donovan-Altidore

None of our strikers outside of Altidore and Davies are good enough to start on the international level, this keeps the speed on the flanks and if Beasley performs like we know he can we would hardly miss a beat.

241knxk.png

#14   morientesfan910

morientesfan910
  • Moderators
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:40 AM

"Freddy Adu likely won't make the team. "

Ouch

why ouch, he can only get games in greece, and he did not want to attempt to play for Hull, who more then likely would have played him

If Klejstan makes the team Bob Bradley needs to have his head checked.

Is it possible that we could have Onyewu fit? The prospect of Bornstein playing or even going to a world cup gives me nightmares.

---------------Howard
Spector-Onyewu-Demerit-Bocanegra
Donovan-Edu-Bradley-Dempsey
---------Altidore-Davies

Providing everyone is fit...if not.
Goalie
Backline
Beasley-Edu-Bradley-Dempsey
------Donovan-Altidore

None of our strikers outside of Altidore and Davies are good enough to start on the international level, this keeps the speed on the flanks and if Beasley performs like we know he can we would hardly miss a beat.

altidore's moral has to be shot since he cant seem to score for hull, but I like landon going in attack with jozy. I wish jones was given a chance and I dont want to see beasley in the team, though he played well, id rather see bedoya in and have donovan in the hole off of jozy

Posted Image

#15   Silky Johnson

Silky Johnson
  • Supporters
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Fav PlayersDonovan, Keane, RVP, Rooney, Bradley, Altidore.
  • SupportsManchester United, Los Angeles Galaxy, and USMNT.

Posted 19 April 2010 - 12:42 PM

Yeah, i dont care who plays on the left side of midfield. I just want to avoid Casey/Buddle/Ching/Findley/Gomez/whoever goes starting a game and getting as little playing time as possible.

241knxk.png