TIKI-TAKA

Bringing you the beautiful game

Newcastle United v Tottenham Hotspur

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1   Oki-Wan Kenoki

Oki-Wan Kenoki
  • LocationSverige

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:36 PM

Posted Image

A lot has changed since the last Premier League game that Tottenham played. Harry Redknapp has been exchanged for André Villas-Boas, Puma has gone out the window and Under Armour is now our new armour, and players have left and players have arrived. While some things have changed much still remains the same, and many question marks that have revolved around the club are sill there, even with the first game of the season being just around the corner. The two main questions being, what will happen with Luka Modric, and where's our fucking strikers? Hopefully two questions that will have an answer at the end of this month.

But yes, a new season. It's good to have you back, Premier League. We'll start off this new season against Newcastle at St. James Park, a place we've been struggling at lately. Our last 6 visits there have either ended in Newcastle's favour, or in a draw. Struggling, yes. On a more positive note though our job will be easier with Demba Ba, Hatem Ben Arfa, Yohan Cabaye, and Papiss Cisse all being doubts for this one. Which will surely enhance our chances.

In terms of what AVB might line-up it's anyone's guess. The whole squad, barring Heurelho Gomes and Scott Parker due to injuries, and with Luka Modric' pending move to Madrid, are available for the Portuguese. My guess is that Jermain Defoe gets the nod ahead of the youngster Harry Kane as the lone striker, with Gareth Bale and Aaron Lennon on the wings, and Gylfi Sigurdsson in the hole. Sandro and Livermore to take the midfield spots, and the usual back-four with Jan Vertonghen taking the missing spot from Ledley King. Friedel between the sticks as usual.

With two capable teams going at eachother in the first game of the season anything can happen, but im expecting two careful teams to enter the field tomorrow, not wanting to lose anything from the get go. As long as we don't repeat our first game of the season from last year I'll be somewhat happy though.

COYS!

We're up all night to get lucky

#2   Brick Top

Brick Top
  • LocationKendal/Manchester.
  • Fav PlayersRamsey, Pogba, Koke.

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:19 AM

Hopefully Livermore carries on his progression with a start here, looked steady for England and wouldn't be a bad back up option in future IMO. Looking forward to seeing how Sigurdsson and Vertonghen take to the league, with Sigurdsson in my fantasy team, a debut goal wouldn't go amiss. :P

MCFC - BULLS

#3   Cowić

Cowić
  • Portugal Moderators
  • LocationCalifornia, USA
  • Fav PlayersSimão, F. Coentrão, Salvio, Enzo Perez, A. Gomes
  • SupportsSL Benfica, Portugal NT

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:10 PM

Tottenham hit the post and the bar in the first half, but Newcastle are up 1-0 now at 72 minutes.

Demba Ba scored a perfectly placed half-volley into the right corner of the goal. Just the right amount of curve on it.

That's been the difference so far. Tottenham only have Defoe... And right after I typed this Defoe scored lol. 1-1 now.

#4   Priest Andretti

Priest Andretti
  • LocationLBK, TX
  • SupportsLiverpool â•‘ FCD

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:27 PM

2-1 now in extra time. Ben Afra got Newcastle's second on a penalty he rightfully earned. Afra has been fantastic throughout the match. Newcastle are off to a great start if they can hold on to this win.

#5   PatrickBrooks

PatrickBrooks
  • Supporters
  • LocationSydney | Porto
  • Fav PlayersCabaye | Ronaldo | Quaresma
  • SupportsNewcastle United | FC Porto | Juventus

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:32 PM

Good 3 points, bit fortunate in the first half with the Bale header and Defoe shot against the woodwork, but hey, in the end we pulled out on top. Ben Arfa was great.

#6   Brick Top

Brick Top
  • LocationKendal/Manchester.
  • Fav PlayersRamsey, Pogba, Koke.

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:57 PM

Why I put him in my dream team, Ben Arfa is quality for Newcastle.

MCFC - BULLS

#7   Oki-Wan Kenoki

Oki-Wan Kenoki
  • LocationSverige

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:44 PM

Well, fuck.

#8   Sir Chesney

Sir Chesney
  • LocationUK

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:43 PM

Dear, oh dear. Another sig bet, Oskar? ;)

Posted Image

There's only one Aaron Ramsey | With Wenger until the end #10

#9   Oki-Wan Kenoki

Oki-Wan Kenoki
  • LocationSverige

Posted 19 August 2012 - 06:56 PM

@Sir Chesney

Haha, not sure I want to involve myself in anything like this until after the end of the transfer window. As it stands we're an inferior side to yours, and our own side is actually worse this season than the last one. So im holding this one out for now, awaiting signings. :P

#10   Alex Miguel

Alex Miguel
  • Australian Moderators
  • LocationSydney, Australia
  • SupportsPorto, Freamunde, Sydney, Portugal & Australia

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:06 AM

Just finished watching the first half and I have to say I'm not too impressed by both sides - hopefully its just nerves since it's the first game of the season. Newcastle have been non-existent apart from a few long balls here and there.

As for Tottenham, they have been up and down. They've controlled the tempo of the game which will be important in Europe and have shown some signs of combination plays going forward in the last minutes of the half. However, they started very patchy, as Newcastle have been all of the first half. And by that I mean that they haven't really passed the ball too many times before losing it. They do it at the back but are struggling in midfield and up front plus there seems to be a lot of individual runs instead of playing to a team mate. Also, the attack and a few midfielders are defending high up but I feel that the defense is sitting too deep and giving Newcastle the chance of a quick counter.

More to come.

#11   Alex Miguel

Alex Miguel
  • Australian Moderators
  • LocationSydney, Australia
  • SupportsPorto, Freamunde, Sydney, Portugal & Australia

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:48 AM

Much better half from Tottenham but its unfortunate that they only came out of their shell when Ba scored for Newcastle. They started to pass the ball more successfully and penetrate in the final third. If Tottenham played like this from the first half, they might have been able to win. I think Sandro was very important in creating chances with some nice passes out to the wide players on the run. Tottenham definitely need a striker to play in Defoe's position. By the looks of it, Defoe isn't a player that can sit up front by himself, more suited to sitting behind a striker who can hold up the ball and Defoe could make runs of him. In AVB's system, I can only really see him playing as a winger that drifts in from a wide position. Won't work as a lone striker.

Newcastle didn't really offer much. Ba and Cisse just waited up front for the long ball and Ben Arfa was the only real danger. I'm surprised AVB didn't get one of his players to mark him more closely. If he was taken out of the game along with Ba, Newcastle had nothing else to offer.