TIKI-TAKA

Bringing you the beautiful game

NeoBux

Rate your own knowledge of the game.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1   COYS

COYS
  • England Moderators
  • LocationLondon
  • SupportsTottenham Hotspur and England

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:08 AM

I've seen on a computer game player ratings such as passing, shooting, tackling etc, and ratings out of 100 which highlights players strengths and weaknesses.

How would you rate your own knowledge of the game?

Which areas would you say are your strengths and weaknesses when it comes to understanding the sport or discussing it with mates or on line?

Try to be as honest as possible.

Personally speaking, I would say I have a very good historical knowledge of the game both in Britain and throughout Europe, a strong understanding on tactics and formations and how they have developed over the last 100 years or so, I understand the financial aspect of football resonably well, and have a keen interest in football in communist Eastern Europe between 1945 and 1990.

I watch mainly English and German football, and therefore my biggest weaknesses are knowing players who don't play in these leagues, particularly ones who aren't established internationals, who play in these leagues. There are lots of players mentioned on these forums, and by my younger cousin (21 years old), who I've not heard of.

So how about other people?!

Edited by 0, 10 July 2012 - 11:10 AM.

Levy Out!

Posted Image

#2   Zin

Zin
  • Spain Moderators
  • LocationMississippi
  • Fav PlayersAbidal, Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, Pique, Neymar
  • SupportsFC Barcelona

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:40 PM

You should establish the criteria by which others can rate themselves. It seems you have a few outlined already.

Historical knowledge
Tactics
Economics
Current world knowledge
Current European knowledge

Would you say this is appropriate? Or is there anything additional you would want to add to that list?

!!!! I AM TOTALLY KEVIN !!!!

And who are you , the proud lord said, that I must bow so low?
Tiki-Taka Best Moderator of 2012
Tiki-Taka Best Thread "At the Bar" of 2012

#3   Mane Garrincha

Mane Garrincha

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:04 PM

I know one thing about football, that I know nothing about football.
░▄░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░▄
██░░░░░██▀░░░░░░░▀█▄░░░░░█
███░░▄▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░█░░░███
▀███▄▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█░███
░▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░█████
░░░█░▄▀▄░░░░░░▄▀▄░░░░████
░▄░█░░▀░░▄▀▄░░░▀░░░▄░░█
░█▀▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▀█░░█
░█▄█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄█░░░█
░░█▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░░░░█▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█

#4   Bandiera

Bandiera

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:36 PM

Not as good as it used to be....that's for damned sure.
Nostalgia.....it ain't what it used to be

#5   Zin

Zin
  • Spain Moderators
  • LocationMississippi
  • Fav PlayersAbidal, Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, Pique, Neymar
  • SupportsFC Barcelona

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:53 PM

I know one thing about football, that I know nothing about football.

I see what you did there.

!!!! I AM TOTALLY KEVIN !!!!

And who are you , the proud lord said, that I must bow so low?
Tiki-Taka Best Moderator of 2012
Tiki-Taka Best Thread "At the Bar" of 2012

#6   Brick Top

Brick Top
  • LocationKendal/Manchester.
  • Fav PlayersRamsey, Pogba, Koke.

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:18 PM

I have a pretty good knowledge of English football, top to bottom (league 2). I used to be pretty clued in on European football, but over the years I've grown less interested and couldn't hold down much of a conversation about Italian, Spanish, French football etc. Got no knowledge of South American football, or American football as a whole for that matter. Nor Asian or African. So it's poor nowadays. Historically, clued in, especially Man City 68-76.

MCFC - BULLS

#7   Bill Nicholson

Bill Nicholson

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:42 PM

What's football?

#8   John Flushing

John Flushing
  • LocationState of New York.
  • Fav PlayersTim Howard and Clint Mathis.
  • SupportsMy Own Self Interests.

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:07 PM

I'm good at watching players on the pitch but I am not good at following what happens off the pitch.
"What shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"

#9   COYS

COYS
  • England Moderators
  • LocationLondon
  • SupportsTottenham Hotspur and England

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:57 AM

I'm good at watching players on the pitch but I am not good at following what happens off the pitch.

What do you mean by this?

Levy Out!

Posted Image

#10   Angel

Angel
  • LocationLondon
  • Fav PlayersMikel, Nuri Sahin, Isco, Thiago, Bahebeck
  • SupportsChelsea

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:59 PM

I have a scattered knowledge, I watch different games in different leagues, so I'm no focused expert.
I know a bit about youth football.
Different tactical philosophy.
Expert at Chelsea. Obvvvviously. Haha

#11   John Flushing

John Flushing
  • LocationState of New York.
  • Fav PlayersTim Howard and Clint Mathis.
  • SupportsMy Own Self Interests.

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:08 PM

Transfer rumors, financial meltdowns, and anything else which is not discussed in a matchday thread.

"What shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"

#12   francis

francis
  • Supporters
  • LocationMontrey'all
  • Fav PlayersScholesa, Evra, Fletcha, Berba, Vida.
  • SupportsUtd.

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:19 PM

Im guessing showers, etc.

Posted Image

#13   Roger

Roger

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:47 PM

Look at everyone trying to be humble and modest. I'll go:

(Rated 1 to 10, 10 being best possible)

Historical knowledge: 6 - Like most common fans, my knowledge is decent in my lifetime, but not that great beyond that except for the one club that I follow more than others. If 5 is the average fan, I'd say I'm 1 notch higher, but most that bother to join a forum like this are probably at least a 6, and some higher.

Tactics: 7.5 - It's what I love most about this game. However, you have to keep in mind that a 10 on this scale would be like a top level manager in the game, a 5 might be a common fan, and a 1 would be someone who doesn't even understand the basics of the game. Maybe a 7.5 is a bit high on that standard, but I think I'm more knowledgeable on tactics than your common everyday fan.

Economics: 8 - Some of the discussions on this and other forums have proven to me that the average fan (5) knows very little on this subject.

Current world knowledge: 4 - I give myself a low rank on this because I don't know enough about South American teams/players for sure, and even less about Asia and Africa.

Current European knowledge: 6 - I would have given myself a 7 or 7.5, but if I'm honest with myself, outside of Euro qualified teams, my non-LIga knowledge is not up to snuff.

So my total score is (average of those groups): 6.3 out of 10 possible.

Roger

Posted Image

#14   Vikipedia

Vikipedia
  • Spain Moderators
  • Fav PlayersXavi, Iniesta, Alexis, Messi, Busquets
  • SupportsFC Barcelona

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:13 PM

Historical knowledge - 6/7, something like that. Only real in depth knowledge of history is Barca's. Then things like players, great teams is mostly only the really great ones and a few potential greats that didn't reach glory in trophy form ala Brazil 82 etc.

Tactics - hard to really judge yourself on this unless you start a manager's course or something like that, but I'd say I'm about an 8. I can follow patterns during the game pretty easily and mostly notice manager's switching things up or how a player behaves tactically. Tactics in general fascinate me, at least they started too a few years ago. When you're just a kid you follow the game just because you wanna watch but I've grown more and more interested in this part of the game as time went on.

Economics - gotta admit, I'm really poor on this. I can say I know as much as the average fan maybe, probably not though. I'd give myself a 3 or a 4.

Current world knowledge - probably an 8, I like following other leagues even if I don't watch that many games, I'll at least catch highlight reels. African and Asian club football is a 99% mystery, but I think I know quite a bit about South American football and a little about North American and Australian as well.

Current European knowledge - definitely the best at this, would say about a 8/9. I'm well versed in the top 5 leagues, plus I know enough about the Eredivisie/Liga Sagres IMO. Since I live in Slovenia, Eastern European football ain't a mystery either for the most part, main weakness is probably Scandinavia and Central Europe like Austria, Switzerland...

"Messi is the one who makes the difference, who takes us to another level. He'll never be repeated. He's the best player I've ever seen, the best player I'll ever coach." - Pep Guardiola

#15   BrianSwan

BrianSwan

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:31 AM

Fairly good