TIKI-TAKA

Bringing you the beautiful game

NeoBux

Spain V Portugal

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
217 replies to this topic

#1   ReDDevil9

ReDDevil9
  • Fav PlayersChicharito
  • SupportsManchester United & Brighton & Hove Albion

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:16 PM

Posted Image

Spain Vs Portugal

Posted ImagePosted Image

Venue - Donbass Arena — Donets'k

Posted Image

Spain Preview: The Spaniards took a comfortable ride through to the semi finals of Euro 2012, as they eased their way past France in the quarters. Vicente del Bosque’s men were probably surprised by how comfortable they were, because France had the ability to cause problems. But once again, as we have seen so many times over the past four years, the Spanish possession game is just so hard to break when it comes to the big, high pressure matches. Spain simply keep their foot on the ball and they will eventually carve out chances.

It is a style which tires out opponents quickly and of course, perhaps the biggest thing which gets over looked about it, is that it is a great form of defence. Even with their slightly unorthodox approach of not relying on a recognised striker, Spain have still been convincing enough in the grander scale of things to go on and be the first nation to successfully defend the European Championship title. In playing Cesc Fabregas in a more advanced midfield role, the midfield heavy Spain are causing a lot of confusion in the defence of their opposition

This is because their opposing back line doesn’t know who to mark exactly and they are getting pulled all over the place. Spain only need a fraction of a space to exploit and release that telling through ball into. Spain though, do still look as if they have even more to come. Del Bosque has decent options of pace to come off the bench, and being on an 18 match competitive streak without a loss, having gone undefeated in their last nine games (including friendlies), they are still the team to catch. In 20 of their last 21 competitive tournament matches, Spain have had over 50% possession, and that is the greatest tool in their arsenal.

No-one can dominate possession like them, and it should be enough to keep Portugal back on their heels. The last time that Spain came up against Portugal in a competitive match was in the round of 16 at the 2010 World Cup, Spain won that 1-0 through a David Silva goal, and Spain won all of their knock-out matches 1-0 in that tournament. So they are unlikely to go and score freely, but they generally don’t need to. Spain hold a 15-9 head to head record against their Iberian neighbours, and start as favourites. They just have the keys to unlock even the most stubborn and resilient of sides.

Posted Image

Portugal Preview: Stubborn and resilient is just what Portugal are. But they are able to accent that with the bursts of genius from Cristiano Ronaldo. Portugal tend to play a more cautious game, but Paulo Bento’s men have come out their shell a bit at Euro 2012, and with good effect. When they have pressed the issue, highlighted in their group win over the Netherlands, Portugal have looked a pretty decent side.

The core of their midfield looks stable enough, and the organisation at the back good enough to be able to release the likes of Nani and Cristiano Ronaldo in pacey breaks forward. A goal from Cristiano Ronaldo was enough to see off a very disappointing Czech Republic in the quarter finals, but the lack of ability to kill off the Czech’s effectively and efficiently, may be an area of concern. Spain know that they have to watch Ronaldo closely, but take him out of the game and Portugal, while looking solid, will lose their big spark of inspiration and it will be a matter of them holding on. They will be made to work hard in the middle of the park, and the question is, whether or not they will be able to execute on the break, because their possession will be limited.

After failing to win any of their first four matches of 2012, Portugal have now strung together three wins in a row. They don’t look like world beaters, a long way from that, but there is an organised potential there. They will remember back to November of 2010 when they inflicted a 4-0 defeat on La Roja, Spain’s biggest defeat since 1968. The disappointment of losing the Euro 2004 final against Greece may also drive them on, and having been dumped out of the 2010 World Cup by their neighbours.

They have lost the services of striker Helder Postiga, who missed out through injury and that will be the first change to a starting line up, that Paulo Bento has made to Portugal’s starting eleven for the last six competitive matches. So Portugal are a very settled side, and the hard ground they cover in being able to set up Ronaldo looks pretty good. Portugal have struck the woodwork six times at Euro 2012 already (Ronaldo four of those) so they have been pressing hard. They will need to be organised at the back in this pressure cooker of a situation, and this will be their biggest task of trying to do something with the ball when they actually manage to get it, at the tournament yet.

Posted Image

This post has been promoted to an article

Edited by 0, 27 June 2012 - 03:25 PM.

Posted Image

I pass and I move, I help you, I look for you, I stop, I raise my head, I look and, above all, I open up the pitch…That’s the school of Vila, of Benaiges, of Cruijff – Xavi Hernandez

#2   Bharadwaj

Bharadwaj
  • LocationVisakhapatnam , India
  • Fav PlayersRonaldo Kaka Muller Di Maria Falcao DeGea
  • SupportsManchester United , Indian NT

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:08 PM

Spain did concede to Italy in the first match so they are not on an 8 match non conceding streak ... Other than that small fact Top OP

Don't think Portugal's midfield trio is good enough to stop the Spanish and that could be where Spain can get at Portugal and hurt them .

Torres will probably start to push Portugal a little deeper and their counters will be from a deeper position . I think that Ramos will start at right back with Martinez/Albiol coming in as Arbeloa has zero chance of stopping Ronaldo especially when he has hit form .

Ronaldo and Nani will force the Spanish fullbacks to hold back from attacking which means Torres is a must as the space and options available to the Spanish will be narrowed if they flood the team with midfielders with no/little support from the fullbacks

Ronaldo and Nani can both trouble Spain but with Spain keeping so much possession , doubt they will get many chances so they need to utilize whatever chances they get .

Can't see anything but a Spanish win here

#3   Roger

Roger

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:47 PM

Hopefully Del Bosque starts Pedro on the right flank, as he can not only add pace to the attack while adding width up front that will help Spain open the middle for our more dangerous players, but he also has an amazing work rate defensively and would provide Arbeloa a great deal of very important support. Playing Ramos at RB would be great, but I don't think he's going to break up the CB pair for this.

Roger

Posted Image

#4   Phil Parma

Phil Parma

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:53 PM

Scrubs > Spain v Portugal

Posted Image

#5   II Capitano

II Capitano
  • LocationAberdeen

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:12 PM

Same line up as before, but Negredo is starting (rumoured to be anyway). Okay.
Posted Image

#6   Roger

Roger

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:13 PM

Got a real kick out of ESPN's headline: Can Spain Stop Ronaldo?

Um..... I think the questions need to be posed the other way around..... things like:

Can Anyone Beat Spain?

Can Portugal Get The Ball?

Can Ronaldo Score On A Real Defense?

Can Portugal Get To A Final?

I predict a very frustrated Ronaldo after this match, with very few touches of the ball.

Roger

Posted Image

#7   Brick Top

Brick Top
  • LocationKendal/Manchester.
  • Fav PlayersRamsey, Pogba, Koke.

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:15 PM

COME ON SILVA (SPAIN).

MCFC - BULLS

#8   OGC

OGC
  • SupportsAjax & Chelsea

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:20 PM

Against a team like Spain, you have to be smart with the possession you have. Portugal's midfield is average imo, they lack any sort of chemistry and Moutinho has been holding it together so far. I can't see Meireles who is a shocking passer or Veloso being able to distribute quickly enough to give Ronaldo or Nani the chance to hurt Spain. There is only one winner in this.

#9   II Capitano

II Capitano
  • LocationAberdeen

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:41 PM

Against a team like Spain, you have to be smart with the possession you have. Portugal's midfield is average imo, they lack any sort of chemistry and Moutinho has been holding it together so far. I can't see Meireles who is a shocking passer or Veloso being able to distribute quickly enough to give Ronaldo or Nani the chance to hurt Spain. There is only one winner in this.

Portugal's midfield was average for the first two games, but they have looked much better since the win against Holland. Surprisingly, Meireles had a great game against Czech Republic, he played two world class balls and looked sharp throughout; Moutinho is a beautiful player who found himself on the right side against Czech Republic, performing to his best; and Velosco does the required job quietly. Any midfield, regardless of stature, will find it hard against the best national side. What Portugal are good at is counter attacking, which is Spain's weakness.

Posted Image

#10   Juanito.

Juanito.
  • Spain Moderators
  • Fav PlayersRaúl González
  • SupportsReal Madrid CF

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:45 PM

Spain: Casillas; Arbeloa, Piqué, Ramos, Alba; Busquets, Alonso, Xavi; Iniesta, Silva y Negredo.

A real #9! Wow let's see how this pans out. :)

Hasta el final, Vamos Real

#11   GioV

GioV
  • Fav PlayersIker.
  • SupportsReal Madrid.

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:14 PM

Nice to see Negredo.

#12   .Mario.

.Mario.
  • Moderators
  • LocationRecife-Brasil
  • Fav PlayersXaviesta-Messi-Oscar-Riquelme-Pirlo-Nesta
  • SupportsSport Club do Recife

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:20 PM

Fuck yeah, now we're having a proper dialogue, Vicente, my dear.

#13   francis

francis
  • Supporters
  • LocationMontrey'all
  • Fav PlayersScholesa, Evra, Fletcha, Berba, Vida.
  • SupportsUtd.

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:27 PM

Got a real kick out of ESPN's headline: Can Spain Stop Ronaldo?

Um..... I think the questions need to be posed the other way around..... things like:

Can Anyone Beat Spain?

Can Portugal Get The Ball?

Can Ronaldo Score On A Real Defense?

Can Portugal Get To A Final?

I predict a very frustrated Ronaldo after this match, with very few touches of the ball.

God i hope I'll to quote this at the end of the game.

Posted Image

#14   Roger

Roger

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:29 PM

God i hope I'll to quote this at the end of the game.

You've done it prematurely now here, so you must not have much confidence ;)

Roger

Posted Image

#15   Daniel

Daniel
  • LocationIreland
  • Fav PlayersLuís Eduardo Schmidt
  • SupportsLiverpool FC & Real Betis Balompié

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:33 PM

Negredo? He's not even the best striker in Seville.

Spain allowed to wear black armbands in remembrance of Miki Roque, thankfully. UEFA should have allowed for so much more, but at the very least we have this.

I'm a little teapot, short and stout.