TIKI-TAKA

Bringing you the beautiful game

Carlisle United

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1   Brick Top

Brick Top
  • LocationKendal/Manchester.
  • Fav PlayersRamsey, Pogba, Koke.

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:24 AM

Carlisle United Football Club

Posted Image

So, I'm bored at 3.00 AM and decided I'd create a Carlisle thread in the lower league section as I like to keep myself occupied and I thought you guys might like to know more about a team in League 1 and what I consider to be my second team now.

Anyway, key news today/yesterday is that Francois Zoko is no longer renewing his contract and shall be free to go wherever, supposedly
Sheffield Wednesday who are now in the Championship. A loss, but not a major one as he was inconsistent. Here's a simple showing of how Carlisle like to line up:

Collin

Simek - Michalik - Livesey/Murphy - Robson

Thirwell - Taiwo - Berrett

McGovern - Noble

Miller

Zoko tended to play where McGovern is, with Noble the opposite side. It is probably more a 4-5-1 than a 4-3-2-1, in fact more a 4-1-4-1. But it's all relative. Carlisle finished 8th last season, just outside the play offs and the season before had gotten to, and won, the Johnstone's Paint Trophy Cup final at Wembley which I attended 1-0 against Brentford, Murphy with the winner. However I believe Simek, Taiwo and Murphy, among others are also out of contract and need to be burdened down to one or Carlisle won't be near the play offs next season. I think a new left back is needed as Robson's quality is in question, he's quick but a better winger. A new attacking midfielder/winger is needed as McGovern is average at best and Noble, who is quality, cannot do everything on his own. Miller, who many may know of Aberdeen and Middlesbrough, is quality in League 1 and his injury was the primary reason Carlisle missed out on the play offs last season. A new striker is also needed I think, probably on loan from a Premier League side, a youngster, as Loy and Madden are not good enough to start.

Here's the full current squad list from the official site:

1. Adam Collin - Goalkeeper
2. Frank Simek - Defender
3. Matty Robson - Defender/Midfielder
4. Jon-Paul McGovern - Midfielder
5. Danny Livesey - Defender
6. Peter Murphy - Defender
7. Andy Welsh - Midfielder
8. Graham Kavanagh - Midfielder
9. Rory Loy - Striker
10. Paddy Madden - Striker
11. Paul Thirwell - Midfielder
12. Tom Taiwo - Midfielder
13. Francois Zoko - Striker
14. Lee Miller - Striker
17. Liam Noble - Midfielder
18. Brad Potts - Midfielder
19. Mark Beck - Striker
20. Mark Gillespie - Goalkeeper
21. James Berrett - Midfielder
23. Tony Caig - Goalkeeper
24. Chris Chantler - Midfielder
25. Lubomir Michalik - Defender
32. Josh Todd - Midfielder
--. David Symington - Midfielder

Like I said, Zoko has confirmed he is leaving so that's slightly outdated. Berrett, Taiwo, Michalik, Murphy and Simek are the players who also have been offered new contracts as they are out of one, and as I highlighted in the line up, all of them start really, so unless they get tied down, Carlisle will not be making the play offs unless Greg Abbott the manager pulls off some serious business and their is some form of investment.

I hope you enjoy the opening post, it was mainly to tire my brain for the night and it has done just that, I'll update this throughout with any news and if you have any questions just ask me. Cheers guys.

Edited by 0, 08 June 2012 - 02:25 AM.

MCFC - BULLS

#2   Brick Top

Brick Top

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:28 PM

Carlisle Utd door 'still open' for Tom Taiwo, says Abbott

Last updated at 12:02, Tuesday, 12 June 2012
Greg Abbott today revealed he had three face-to-face meetings with Tom Taiwo to try to talk the fans

MCFC - BULLS

#3   Brick Top

Brick Top

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:16 PM

Carlisle United have today signed winger / striker Danny Cadamarteri on a two-year deal which keeps him at Brunton Park until the summer of 2014.
Yorkshire-born Cadamarteri, 32, came through the Everton academy and made his debut for the Toffees in a 2-1 defeat at Chelsea during the 1996/97 campaign.
He has enjoyed spells with Bradford City, Leeds United, Sheffield United, Leicester City and Dundee United and left Huddersfield Town after his second spell with the Terriers at the end of last season.
He made three appearances for the England U21 side between 1998 and 2001 and brings a wealth of experience to the squad.
Manager Greg Abbott said: "This is another one we are pleased to have done.
"Danny is a very experienced player who we have watched for a while and I know from talking to him that he has a real hunger to play the game and push on. He knows what we want to do at this club and he wants to be part of it.
"He's a player who will give us a number of options going forward and in midfield and he's one who we think will have a positive impact in the dressing room as well.
"I've spoken to him at length a number of times and all you want to see is that desire and determination to make an impact. He has that and, like I say, I'm really looking forward to working him when we get back together in July."
"We'll keep working away to bring others into the mix," he added. "We know what we want and where we want to be but we're going to continue to pursue those players we feel will make us stronger.
"Danny and Mike Edwards fit that bill and we have other types of player in mind who we want to bring in, but there's no rush for us. We're getting there now and things are looking very encouraging for us."

Decent signing, reeks of desperacy though, hopefully he can do what Berrett did and improve a little bit from his time at Huddersfield.

MCFC - BULLS

#4   Brick Top

Brick Top

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:45 PM

Couple of quick updates:
  • James Berrett has signed his new, 2 year deal to keep him till 2014, great League 1 player.
  • Frank Simek has signed his new, 1 year deal with an option for a further year, good deal as right back is really thin in cover and we need him.
  • Carlisle have taken some players on trial: Harrison Blakey from Huddersfield, Alessio Bugno from Monza, Dale Hopson from Darlington, Jonathan Meades from Cardiff and Aaron Taylor from Workington. Doubt all will get deals, probably 2 at most, maybe none, good option though.
  • Greg confirmed he'd had a meeting with a player and it'd gone well, said player has three clubs interested in him besides Carlisle though.
Pre season games:
  • 13th July - Kendal away (Going to this as it's my home town, should be good!)
  • 17th July - Workington away
  • 21st July - Barrow away
  • 24th July - Durham City away
  • 27th July - St Mirren home
  • 3rd August - Middlesbrough home
  • 8th August - Morecambe away

MCFC - BULLS

#5   Brick Top

Brick Top

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:32 PM

Carlisle legend Peter Murphy has signed a new one year contract. Been there since 2001 and scored the winner at the 2011 Johnstone Paint Trophy final at Wembley when I went! Decent player for the league, will most likely be in and out of the team depending on if Greg signs anyone.

MCFC - BULLS

#6   Brick Top

Brick Top

Posted 14 July 2012 - 12:13 AM

Carlisle beat my hometown team Kendal 3-0 tonight, normal pre-season game, all I saw that was very prominent was that ex-Everton player Danny Cadamarteri looked shit. Its the first game and I'll give him time, but this doesn't bode well off what the Huddersfield fans have said about him.

MCFC - BULLS

#7   Brick Top

Brick Top

Posted 19 August 2012 - 01:05 AM

Drew 1-1 with Stevenage, decent, hopefully a promotion push can be made this season. Edwards at centre back is, according to my mate, good. Bugno at left back means Robson can move to the wing too and that means better transition down the left.

Also, drawn Preston at home in the JPT, hopefully can go down to it.

MCFC - BULLS

#8   Brick Top

Brick Top

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:55 AM

I can confirm, I will not be surprised, if Carlisle are relegated this season.

MCFC - BULLS

#9   Brick Top

Brick Top

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:24 PM

Carlisle beat Championship side Ipswich to continue in the Capital One Cup into the 3rd round! 2-1, goals from Beck and then in extra time Symington provided the win, quality stuff!

MCFC - BULLS

#10   Brick Top

Brick Top

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:03 PM

Tottenham at home! Get in!

MCFC - BULLS

#11   TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan
  • SupportsAVFC | NFFC

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:47 PM

I'm afraid I don't know any Carlise players apart from Liam Noble from his Sunderland days, but where are they expected to finish this season? Also, where did your interest in them first start?

#12   Brick Top

Brick Top

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:34 PM

@eriksgata Noble is decent, was very good last season at times. Chantler (ex-Man City) is seemingly decided to be their best player now just for the record, been playing left back. They finished 8th last season, 4 points off play offs, but still had a chance on the last day at Oldham (which I went to) if results went their way. I'd personally go with 10th judging on current play, they've placed Gillespie in net instead of Collin who has proved to be a lot better with two man of the match performances already. So that's been a positive in an otherwise average start.

I'd also say expect to see all of Gillespie, Potts, Symington and Beck playing Championship football sooner rather than later, too good for the league and they're still only very young lads, especially Gillespie at 20 for a goalkeeper who could go a long way.

Oh, and because my friends are Carlisle fans, they both previously supported Man United and to an extent still do, but they're very much Carlisle fans now really. Also, its become an activity for me and mates to go to Carlisle games, as no one can go to City games unless my mum and dad can't go.

MCFC - BULLS

#13   Brick Top

Brick Top

Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:41 PM

I'm hoping to see this v Cov and Spurs:

Gillespie

Potts - Livesey - Murphy - Bugno

Symington - Noble - Chantler - Robson

Cadamarteri - Garner/Beck

You could argue to put Chantler at LB, and knock Thirwell in the middle, especially against Spurs. Joe Garner can't play against Spurs so Beck for that game. Simek is, quite simply, poor at the moment and Potts looks good so he should come into play, same with Symington for any of the wingers Carlisle have besides Robson. Gillespie is a lot better than Collin too and its a shambles he's not played sooner.

MCFC - BULLS

#14   Brick Top

Brick Top

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:37 PM

Got thumped 4-0 by Notts County, shocking, getting sicker of Abbott by the day, loans out Paddy Madden to Yeovil and has 3 in 2, I genuinely don't think he's any good (Abbott that is).

MCFC - BULLS

#15   Brick Top

Brick Top

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:14 PM

Carlisle have conceded the most goals in the top 4 leagues this season. Absolute shit at the moment, Abbott has destroyed last season's squad.

MCFC - BULLS