TIKI-TAKA

Bringing you the beautiful game

Benfica signs Ola John

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1   AGUIA-SLB

AGUIA-SLB
  • SupportsSL Benfica, Toronto FC, Canadian NT, Portugal NT

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:09 PM

Benfica signed Twente winger Ola John on a 5 year contract, with a release clause of 45 million. Don't think either club has announced how much we paid for him (i can't find it anywhere) but it is likely around 8-10 million. Likely our third highest purchase in our history behind Cardozo and Simao. Really looking forward to what he can do, if he pulls off performances like he did against us on a consistent basis, then this will be an excellent signing. He's 2 footed, so i'm sure he'd have no problem playing on either wing. (i would really like to see Nolito be a regular starter, with Cesar finally tried out in the middle, and John on the right)

Happy we made this signing. 2 players signed so far, and both of them i wanted lol. So now lets pleaaase get a lb. (taiwo?? :D)

TUDO A SALTAR!!!!

#2   Cowić

Cowić
  • Portugal Moderators
  • LocationCalifornia, USA
  • Fav PlayersSimão, F. Coentrão, Salvio, Enzo Perez, A. Gomes
  • SupportsSL Benfica, Portugal NT

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:55 AM

I'm very happy with this signing. It's well worth the 8+ million getting a player who has real potential instead of getting three average players who have a 1/50 chance in becoming a key player (for example signing Enzo Perez instead of Salvio). Usually our 5+ million signings are well planned too, with players like Di Maria, Ramires, Javi Garcia, Gaitan, and Rodrigo falling under that bracket.

He only turned 20 years old five days ago I believe. Already in his first real competitive season, he had 6 assists in the Europa League group stages. There's already proven talent at the Europa League level, so the Portuguese league should be a fitting level for him right now.

I have faith he can become that next Di Maria who really makes a difference in our side individually. Maybe not this season, but in the next one definitely. Like we've seen with Hulk this season, having a top individual is very important and can make a difference in those games where you just need a sloppy 1-0 win for the 3 points.

#3   Tokyo Sexwale

Tokyo Sexwale

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:40 AM

Shame he's moved after just 1 season with Twente, really. Big talent and one that could do with another season of consistent Eredivisie football to grow even further. I just hope for the sake of his career this is the right choice. Kinda surprised he actually left, following the error's of judgement his brother Collins made and him saying he learned from that. Is he pretty much guaranteed a starting spot at Benfica?

Fee is reportedly

AJAXAJAXAJAXAJAXAJAXAJAXAJAXAJAXAJAXAJAXAJAXAJAXAJAXAJAXAJAX
AJAXAJAXAJAXAJAXAJAXAJAXAJAX
AJAXAJAX
AJAXAJAX
AJAXAJAX
AJAXAJAX

Posted Image

#4   Cowić

Cowić
  • Portugal Moderators

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:10 PM

Shame he's moved after just 1 season with Twente, really. Big talent and one that could do with another season of consistent Eredivisie football to grow even further. I just hope for the sake of his career this is the right choice. Kinda surprised he actually left, following the error's of judgement his brother Collins made and him saying he learned from that. Is he pretty much guaranteed a starting spot at Benfica?

Fee is reportedly

#5   Cowić

Cowić
  • Portugal Moderators

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:18 PM

I'd like to point out how good of a crosser this guy is. He played a big role in our comebacks against Sporting and Maritimo. Right foot, left foot, he assists with both.

He has the complete package you want from a winger. Great pace, 1v1 dribbling and feints, nice control when long balls are played to him, and almost perfect crossing. The only thing he could improve on is his shooting. It looks like he can pack some power into his shots, so if he works on his accuracy then he'd really cause some trouble for the goalkeepers.

I also like how he didn't let Jesus get to him. Most players would probably be pissed if they got blamed for that goal against Juventus (I'm referring to the preseason game where Jesus ran up to John after the game and blamed him in front of everyone). Now we see him covering that left wing very well, even helping out Melgarejo who doesn't seem to get any blame when he gets forward and leaves Garay by himself lol.

#6   Roberto Rivelino

Roberto Rivelino
  • Portugal Moderators
  • LocationPortugal.
  • Fav PlayersDonovan, Hugo Viana, Plasil, Huth, Pavlyuchenko
  • SupportsJuventus, Porto and any Joga Bonito Team

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:25 PM

He has the complete package you want from a winger. Great pace, 1v1 dribbling and feints, nice control when long balls are played to him, and almost perfect crossing. The only thing he could improve on is his shooting. It looks like he can pack some power into his shots, so if he works on his accuracy then he'd really cause some trouble for the goalkeepers.

No doubt. No wonder I've been insisting that Porto should invest on the Eredivisie's wingers. And that's the reason why, they have the complete package (Robben, Van Persie, Overmars, Van Bronckhorst at some point, Ryan Babel, Kuyt, and obviously some precious ones that I'm forgetting).

I truly want to see more from Ola John. I do miss guys in our League that invest on the 1x1 challenges and dribbles and he's got all the tools to be that guy.

All my Video Match Compilations were taken from Youtube, therefore, they'll be (all) updated on my blog.
Follow me if you please on Roberto Rivelino. Thanks.