TIKI-TAKA

Bringing you the beautiful game

NeoBux

Kenny Dalglish Steps Down

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
194 replies to this topic

#31   Mini9Torres

Mini9Torres
  • Fav PlayersDaniel Agger & Pepe Reina
  • SupportsLiverpool FC

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:37 PM

Martinez deserves the job, he's been walking on water with next to no money for years now. Wouldn't have had him spending feckless amounts on Henderson, Carroll and Downing.

But how do you actually know that? He's had no money for years, but yet you say that he wouldn't have spent feckless money on Henderson (even though he's been a great signing, so I suppose you just follow the media storm), Carroll and Downing. Avoiding relegation isn't really an achievement, that deserves the LFC job.

#32   Raúl

Raúl
  • Global Moderator
  • SupportsLiverpool Football Club

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:38 PM

Dein is a knowledgeable man. He was ten years ahead of the idiots running Liverpool when he was in charge at Arsenal and to be quite honest, I don't give a fuck about his typical allegiances. Broughton was a Chelsea fan and handled himself with far more class and competence than Purslow, Parry or Moores ever did yet all those guys were described as "good Reds".

I'd rather him than the fuckwit Purslow, can tell you that for free mate.

Eugh, cringe central. PLEASE, everyone posting in here, get a clue.

You're probably right on that mate. Just fucking gutted that Kenny's gone.

#33   TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan
  • SupportsAVFC | NFFC

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:38 PM

To be fair Rafa is the only one of those we should be looking anywhere near. When there's names like AVB, Klopp, Bielsa, Blanc, Girard, Guidolin, Löw, Favre, De Boer, Enrique, Capello and Benítez out there why should we be looking at Rodgers, Lambert and Martinez.

Yeah, that's true enough. Capello would be a fantastic shout for you guys as he has said that he would welcome a managerial position in one of the leagues top clubs. He has worked with the likes of Johnson, Gerrard, Downing, Carroll, Carragher as well, and would have good knowledge of Henderson, Spearing, Shelvey etc too, so he wouldn't be a stranger to the squad you've currently got at the club.

#34   Travis Bickle

Travis Bickle
  • SupportsLiverpool FC

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:39 PM

This is exactly the same as when Rafa was sacked. We had a bunch of intolerable fuckwits deciding they knew what was best for our club, droning on and on and on about how wonderful Hodgson is and how much he "deserved" the job. The lot of them can get to fuck.
Bunny Rabbits

#35   Raúl

Raúl
  • Global Moderator
  • SupportsLiverpool Football Club

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:40 PM

This is exactly the same as when Rafa was sacked. We had a bunch of intolerable fuckwits deciding they knew what was best for our club, droning on and on and on about how wonderful Hodgson is and how much he "deserved" the job. The lot of them can get to fuck.

This. Seems to me everyone's forgotten the last time we hired a flavour of the month manager.

#36   Cark

Cark
  • SupportsBrentford Football Club

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:41 PM

I think Dalglish deserved more time, at least another season, but he took the club backwards in terms of league positioning, how he done that after last season I don't know, but he did.

Posted Image
Germany 0 - 2 Brazil - 2002 World Cup Final

#37   Daniel

Daniel
  • LocationIreland
  • Fav PlayersLuís Eduardo Schmidt
  • SupportsLiverpool FC & Real Betis Balompié

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:44 PM

Very upset by this decision. We're all aware that this is Kenny Dalglish, right? The King. Already one of our greatest managers, the greatest ever player, and we give him one full season? I know this is modern football, but this is also Kenny Dalglish. A season backed by incompetent, spineless shits like Ayre? A transfer system dominated by overpriced signings? It's one thing for Dalglish to green-light a Downing signing, but it's another thing for Comolli to fork out £18.5 million on the lad. And it's yet another thing for Downing to deceive us on his previous Villa form and turn out to be a ludicrously unambitious and mentally weak footballer who contributed absolutely nothing this season expect one more Northern accent in the squad.

This has been a season where we've reached two domestic cup finals. Near perfect in two of three competitions. We qualified for Europe. Not how it's usually done, but we did it. We achieve silverware, we achieved Europe - albeit not the highest level of Europe. The Premier League form has been well below average, but the season hasn't been shambolic - just entirely erratic. So we have a club with vacancies for all the top roles, with no intention of building a new stadium, no football related experience lurking anywhere, no owners present in the country, no manager (having just had one who knew the club inside out) and yet decisions galore are being forced ahead. Kenny Dalglish should be criticised for this year and his handling of many situations, but one for the sack? I don't think so.

They had better have a genius in the wings. Villas-Boas? Capello? Benitez? Give Guardiola a Red Bull and a contract? Give Klopp a handsome cheque once United ransack his squad? Hodgson once he gets sacked for a fucking hilarious EURO campaign? Actually, I shouldn't joke like that. Hyypia would've been nice, but he's signed up elsewhere. Didi? Martinez? I'd imagine Martinez is very nice as a human being, but do we want to turn into another Everton or do we want to compete with United's ingenious ability for top place finishes and City's money, too? Which way are we looking? Upwards? Only slightly up before our necks strain a little?

Two years ago non-footballing men sacked Benitez. The same has happened this time to Dalglish.

Dalglish leaves his post, according to BBC.

Downing finally gets an assist.

Adam, you genius. Even in this sad state I let out a hearty laugh.

Edited by 0, 16 May 2012 - 04:51 PM.

I'm a little teapot, short and stout.

#38   Travis Bickle

Travis Bickle
  • SupportsLiverpool FC

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:44 PM

This. Seems to me everyone's forgotten the last time we hired a flavour of the month manager.

What I love the most is how people talk about the LFC job as some sort of holiday destination for whoever is popular in the media at the time.

"Oooh, Martinez is doing well! Lets give him the Liverpool job, that's a big club! What, what do you mean you don't want him? You deluded Scousers you, we want Martinez at your club! You just want cult heroes because you're all sooooo deluded!"

Prepare for much of this until the job is given to someone else.

Edited by 0, 16 May 2012 - 04:45 PM.

Bunny Rabbits

#39   Oroku Saki

Oroku Saki
  • Fav PlayersHenry, Bergkamp, Arteta, Kos, Ashley Cole
  • SupportsArsenal

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:06 PM

Very upset by this decision. We're all aware that this is Kenny Dalglish, right? The King. Already one of our greatest managers, the greatest ever player, and we give him one full season? I know this is modern football, but this is also Kenny Dalglish. A season backed by incompetent, spineless shits like Ayre? A transfer system dominated by overpriced signings? It's one thing for Dalglish to green-light a Downing signing, but it's another thing for Comolli to fork out £18.5 million on the lad. And it's yet another thing for Downing to deceive us on his previous Villa form and turn out to be a ludicrously unambitious and mentally weak footballer who contributed absolutely nothing this season expect one more Northern accent in the squad.

This has been a season where we've reached two domestic cup finals. Near perfect in two of three competitions. We qualified for Europe. Not how it's usually done, but we did it. We achieve silverware, we achieved Europe - albeit not the highest level of Europe. The Premier League form has been well below average, but the season hasn't been shambolic - just entirely erratic. So we have a club with vacancies for all the top roles, with no intention of building a new stadium, no football related experience lurking anywhere, no owners present in the country, no manager (having just had one who knew the club inside out) and yet decisions galore are being forced ahead. Kenny Dalglish should be criticised for this year and his handling of many situations, but one for the sack? I don't think so.

They had better have a genius in the wings. Villas-Boas? Capello? Benitez? Give Guardiola a Red Bull and a contract? Give Klopp a handsome cheque once United ransack his squad? Hodgson once he gets sacked for a fucking hilarious EURO campaign? Actually, I shouldn't joke like that. Hyypia would've been nice, but he's signed up elsewhere. Didi? Martinez? I'd imagine Martinez is very nice as a human being, but do we want to turn into another Everton or do we want to compete with United's ingenious ability for top place finishes and City's money, too? Which way are we looking? Upwards? Only slightly up before our necks strain a little?

I agree with you on the bolded part, the project is now appearing to be falling apart, and rather quickly too. The rest I completely disagree with you.

I'd like to think that his sacking wasn't just because of his league failing (And yes, it's a failing to finish 8th when you've had +100m at your disposal and all of the teams above you have bottled entire runs of games at various times (Arsenal, Tottenham, Chelsea, Everton, and even Newcastle have fluffed a lot of games this season), this was supposed to be the big push for Liverpool, the golden chance to be seized, and it's one that most likely won't be repeated soon. Any other manager would be sacked for wasting such a glorious chance of breaking back into the top 4.

I think this sacking is entirely justified, even though Dalglish has had his positives (A Cup win is a cup win after all), but that's the modern football climate after all, and success is measured differently in this age. So he shouldn't be expecting to be dealt any favors because of his LFC past...

Take it this way, if there was another manager at the helm, would you have asked for his sacking ? I would think so tbh..

#40   Travis Bickle

Travis Bickle
  • SupportsLiverpool FC

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:10 PM

Take it this way, if there was another manager at the helm, would you have asked for his sacking ? I would think so tbh..

*Bangs head against screen*

Why would any of us 'take it this way' when it is, quite frankly, a stupid way of looking at it? Seriously. There's more to this situation than Dalglish being on one side and every other manager in the World ever on the other.

If it was a manager who hadn't proved as much as Kenny and wasn't as in touch with the fanbase then yes, I probably would want his head (see: Hodgson). However, if it was someone who had proved their worth and got the club, I would want them to stay in charge.

This is not a black and white situation. Stop making it out to be one with Liverpool fans being made to look like hypocrites in the meantime, it's fucking tiresome.

Bunny Rabbits

#41   Daniel

Daniel
  • LocationIreland
  • Fav PlayersLuís Eduardo Schmidt
  • SupportsLiverpool FC & Real Betis Balompié

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:21 PM

If it was another manager, I would have to balance my impatience for our Premier League form with knowing that he won us one trophy and brought us to a final of another cup competition. He would've had success. It would be hard for me to admit for certain now that I would want the non-Dalglish manager sacked with the same results. However, say I did come to the conclusion that any other manager would've been sacked, it does little to diminish my argument, for I have prefaced it with: "We're all aware that this is Kenny Dalglish, right?" I am specifically angry because it is Kenny Dalglish they have sacked. Kenny Dalglish. If he of all people is not allowed time then modern football has snuck up on me quicker than it has others and I'm not at all happy with it.
I'm a little teapot, short and stout.

#42   Il Statto

Il Statto
  • Administrators
  • LocationEngland
  • SupportsJuventus

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:26 PM

To be fair Rafa is the only one of those we should be looking anywhere near. When there's names like AVB, Klopp, Bielsa, Blanc, Girard, Guidolin, Löw, Favre, De Boer, Enrique, Capello and Benítez out there why should we be looking at Rodgers, Lambert and Martinez.

Sorry for nitpicking but Enrique is part of that list? Really? Martinez, Lambert and Rodgers have done superior jobs to what Enrique had at Roma. The rest, then sure. I think AvB is a good shout as I think Liverpool players are more suitable to playing the style of football which AvB prefers, with pass and move players such as Suarez, Henderson etc. Whether or not he's learned from his mistakes of how to alienate like a whole squad of players is another question though.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

"A legend like John, Lennon I'm a dreamer... Tried to fuck the world, she only let me finger..."

- Common (The Dreamer)

#43   Corrupted Tongue

Corrupted Tongue
  • LocationLondon
  • SupportsThe Arsenal

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:27 PM

This is not a black and white situation. Stop making it out to be one with Liverpool fans being made to look like hypocrites in the meantime, it's fucking tiresome.

I don't think anyone is calling you hypocrites, it'd only natural for any set of fans. He's your best ever player. No need to be so defensive.

#44   Oroku Saki

Oroku Saki
  • Fav PlayersHenry, Bergkamp, Arteta, Kos, Ashley Cole
  • SupportsArsenal

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:29 PM

*Bangs head against screen*

Why would any of us 'take it this way' when it is, quite frankly, a stupid way of looking at it? Seriously. There's more to this situation than Dalglish being on one side and every other manager in the World ever on the other.

If it was a manager who hadn't proved as much as Kenny and wasn't as in touch with the fanbase then yes, I probably would want his head (see: Hodgson). However, if it was someone who had proved their worth and got the club, I would want them to stay in charge.

I'm not making anyone look like a hypocrite, where did you get that from ?

If someone isn't doing a good job despite near optimum conditions (Squad largely settled, huge budget, rival teams failing hard) for doing so, then they should get sacked. End of. Sentimentality shouldn't be a factor here. He wasted a glorious chance to finally break into top 4 (And with it bring more cash, which brings better players who produce trophies and more cash, which brings even better players and so on.. It's a cycle.)

#45   Sir Ali

Sir Ali
  • Administrators
  • LocationNorthern Ireland
  • Fav PlayersLuis Suarez, Steven Gerrard & Philippe Coutinho
  • SupportsLiverpool & Northern Ireland

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:38 PM

Sorry for nitpicking but Enrique is part of that list? Really? Martinez, Lambert and Rodgers have done superior jobs to what Enrique had at Roma. The rest, then sure. I think AvB is a good shout as I think Liverpool players are more suitable to playing the style of football which AvB prefers, with pass and move players such as Suarez, Henderson etc. Whether or not he's learned from his mistakes of how to alienate like a whole squad of players is another question though.

Well probably shouldn't be and he'd be the last of the names pick-able from the list. I too think AVB is a good shout for the job, he was always fighting with an aging squad at Chelsea, here we have plenty of younger players to work around already in the squad and as you say a style of play more akin to his. Better still give me his daddy in Mourinho, we've the money to get him, I doubt he'd say no cause I think he secretly likes us and our fans, he's always wanted a return to England and we've also the money to back him, it a wild one but I'd seriously consider approaching it if I were our owners. Winning the league for us after so long is the type of challenge and ego boosting job Mourinho loves.

"When I was younger, so much younger than today. I never needed anybody's help in any way."

Posted Image