TIKI-TAKA

Bringing you the beautiful game

Kenny Dalglish Steps Down

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
194 replies to this topic

#181   Conte.

Conte.
  • LocationParow

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:47 PM

I'm still holding out for Rodgers.
I'll drink to that

#182   Slauson

Slauson

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:05 PM

I have opinions.
  • I kind of wish Paul Lambert would get an interview. I like how well he adjusts his team.
  • But I understand why he won't. FSG clearly wants someone who can give Liverpool a playing identity, and they want that identity to be a little more fluid than Lambert plays.
  • Maybe it's just denial, but I don't think Martinez or anyone will be confirmed this week. To me, it's clear FSG is interviewing several available candidates, and the only reason Rodgers and Martinez get all the articles is because they are the ones currently holding jobs in England. Plus, Dave Whelan is essentially running a multi-outlet live blog on everything Martinez is doing. I expect to learn what kind of conditioner and his favorite home-cooked meal in the coming days.
  • Jurgen Klopp could have won the title. Maybe AVB eventually. But the rest of the names we know (I don't think we know the entire list, or at least that's what I want to convince myself) won't win you a title. To me, this indicates FSG knows how far Liverpool is from a title and is willing to invest in building a playing identity before tweaking it slightly when it brings in a better coach a few years down the line, hopefully with Liverpool re-established as a Champions League-level club.
  • It's interesting to look at the other FSG-related club's manager search. Roma wants Zeman and is also talking to Bielsa. These guys understand that, especially for an American audience, dour soccerball just won't do. They're also willing to be patient. Neither of those guys have proven records winning anything, but boy do they have fun losing.

#183   Slauson

Slauson

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:30 PM

What I will say - and I'm not saying that they should give him the job - but if they do not interview/speak to Benitez in this process then I find that an absolutely absurd position to take.

If I was hiring a manager, I'd tell Benitez's agent to fuck right off when he inevitably called offering oral sex in exchange for an interview. Here are my in-absolutely-no-way-biased-or-tainted-by-how-much-I-disliked-Benitez-with-Liverpool reasons:
  • In all three of his major gigs, Benitez has waged a PR war on the owners before leaving. In the last two, he fucked the club out of millions of pounds/euros/dollars when fucking off. Press conferences for him are ways to unsettle his bosses into giving him more money. Also he's all-too-eager to attack former employers once the relationship goes sour. Whatever you think of how right he was/is, for a potential employer, that's pretty off-putting.
  • Benitez plays some pretty dour soccerball. See previous comments about FSG (and Roma) wanting something that could potentially be marketed in the dollar-rich American market.
  • Benitez gives some pretty dour press conferences. Sure, you don't care as long as he wins before talking blandly in bad English about 'quality' and whatever cliche he's harping on about, but I do. And I'd bet FSG does, too. When you've sunk millions of dollars into a project, it becomes important that the most visible representative has at least a sliver of charisma. That's why Dalglish was so fresh and wonderful when first hired -- Liverpool had gone through three of the most depressing press-conferences managers I can think of. Houllier with his teary-eyed sobriety, Benitez with his stutteringly bad English and belittlingly stupid talking points, Hodgson with his grim I-already-gave-up attitude. But then Dalglish turned increasingly cynical until by the end he was giving the most bitter press conferences in England. Suarez-gate already cost Ian Cotton his job. Why hire someone who won't improve the perception of the brand worldwide?
  • Don't you think it's odd a coach who has won the Champions League, UEFA Cup, La Liga, and the Club World Cup is reduced to blogging and making the odd TV appearance for a year and a half? I don't. He's annoying and his goatee is stupid.

#184   Odd Blood

Odd Blood
  • LocationNorth Wales
  • Fav PlayersDaniel Agger and Lucas Leiva
  • SupportsLiverpool & Shrewsbury Town

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:47 PM

I get the feeling that you don't like Rafa Benitez or Jen Chang. Care to correct me?

#185   Slauson

Slauson

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:55 PM

I don't like most non-Antonio Cassano human beings.

#186   Odd Blood

Odd Blood
  • LocationNorth Wales
  • Fav PlayersDaniel Agger and Lucas Leiva
  • SupportsLiverpool & Shrewsbury Town

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:25 AM

I don't like most non-Antonio Cassano human beings.

That's a pretty unfair benchmark by which to compare humans.

#187   Piksi

Piksi
  • SupportsSerbians

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:35 PM

Every man and their dog reporting on twitter that we've got Rodgers.

#188   Conte.

Conte.
  • LocationParow

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:22 PM

I hope that's true but my dog still seems to think Martinez is favourite.
I'll drink to that

#189   Conte.

Conte.
  • LocationParow

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:22 PM

I'll drink to that

#190   Mini9Torres

Mini9Torres
  • Fav PlayersDaniel Agger & Pepe Reina
  • SupportsLiverpool FC

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:27 PM

And now we've apparently not even approached Rodgers. It's probably someone crazy like SAF.

#191   Slauson

Slauson

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:01 AM

You're Muslim. You don't own a dog. I don't think? Even if you do, Muslim's certainly aren't allowed to own talking dogs. The Qur'an is very clear about that.

#192   Sir Ali

Sir Ali
  • Administrators
  • LocationNorthern Ireland
  • Fav PlayersLuis Suarez, Steven Gerrard & Philippe Coutinho
  • SupportsLiverpool & Northern Ireland

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:54 PM

Looks like Rodgers then...better choice than Martinez anyway imo.

"When I was younger, so much younger than today. I never needed anybody's help in any way."

Posted Image

#193   Ministry of Silly Walks

Ministry of Silly Walks
  • Video Forum Moderators
  • LocationNorway
  • Fav PlayersGerrard | Messi | Huseklepp | Su├írez
  • SupportsSK Brann

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:44 PM

Good thing it was Rodgers. I would rather have an experienced manager though but Rodgers is a very good manager. But we need someone that can attract players. Van Gaal as DoF/ToF/SomethinofFootball?

Edited by 0, 30 May 2012 - 08:44 PM.

Posted Image

EURO 2012-Slow Motion THREAD! DOWNLOAD HERE

EPL-Slow Motion THREAD! DOWNLOAD HERE

Ima TrueRED! YNWA!

#194   Y5H

Y5H
  • LocationLondon
  • Fav PlayersSuarez, Gerrard, Messi, kaka, alonso, Drenthe
  • SupportsLiverpool

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:35 AM

You're Muslim. You don't own a dog. I don't think? Even if you do, Muslim's certainly aren't allowed to own talking dogs. The Qur'an is very clear about that.

Just to avoid any misconceptions, the Islamic ruling on dog's is not a ruling derived from the Quraan but through Hadith.
However you are correct in saying that muslims are not allowed to keep dogs in their homes (same applies to talking dogs).

#195   Conte.

Conte.
  • LocationParow

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:22 AM

Good appointment.

Dave Whelan can keep Roberto now and give him full control. Hope he's happy.

I'll drink to that