TIKI-TAKA

Bringing you the beautiful game

Bayern Munich vs. Chelsea

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
407 replies to this topic

#31   Matieo

Matieo
  • Fav PlayersCristian Săpunaru

Posted 19 May 2012 - 03:56 PM

I'll leave my prediction for when the starting XI's are announced.

#32   Hououin Kyouma

Hououin Kyouma

Posted 19 May 2012 - 04:04 PM

Hope Chelsea win, English after all, so yeah be a good day for football with this

Football does not belong to England. Anti-football does. :muj:

BAYERN FOR THE WIN!

Edited by 0, 19 May 2012 - 05:13 PM.

#33   Svengali

Svengali
  • SupportsReal Madrid

Posted 19 May 2012 - 04:07 PM

I want Chelsea to win but I'm not entirely sure why. I guess everyone is expecting Bayern to win and Chelsea doesn't have any Champions League titles yet...

#34   Hououin Kyouma

Hououin Kyouma

Posted 19 May 2012 - 04:10 PM

Chelsea doesn't have any Champions League titles yet...

I think that's a good reason for not wanting Chelsea to win.

More importantly, if Chelsea lose they won't be in the Champions League next year. Without Champions League revenue, any money for crazy transfers will have to come out of Roman Abramovich's pockets and this will benefit a lot of smaller clubs and football itself.

Edited by 0, 19 May 2012 - 05:03 PM.

#35   Maya

Maya
  • LocationSão Paulo
  • Fav PlayersSócrates, Kompany, David Silva, Scholes
  • SupportsCorinthians

Posted 19 May 2012 - 04:21 PM

Never been a fan of neither sides, so I truly don't know which to choose today. I suppose seeing any side winning this competition for the first time is nice, but supporting Chelsea today kinda goes against my principles. At the same time, I just can't bring myself to cheer for Bayern in any game since I can remember. I guess I'll be a complete neutral today then and wait for a really good match.

I hope the two teams can slap people that wanted Barca vs Madrid final in the face by providing great entertainment tonight. And yes, I was one of those people who were urging for a Spanish clash.

Tu as beaucoup de chance, tu sais ce qui tu seras plus tard, un peintre. 

Tu es laquelle qui a beaucoup de chance, tu vis le moment.

Moi, j'ai peur de passer à côté tout. J'ai peur de passer à côté ma jeunesse.

#36   Piksi

Piksi
  • SupportsSerbians

Posted 19 May 2012 - 04:48 PM

It's such a fascinating prospect. I think about Chelsea missing Ramires, Terry and Ivanovic and get a boner over Robben and Ribery potentially killing everything but then I remember about the space Mata is going to get and Drogba being up against Tymoschuk. So much attacking potential but I don't think we'll see a high scoring game. For me it comes down to Schweinsteiger and Essien. Both men are key. Schweiny will probably have to play the holding role which I think he can do effectively but I'm not sure about either Mikel or Essien.

I think the one thing that really gives Bayern an edge is that Gomez can score shitty goals so he doesn't need clear cut chances.

#37   Hououin Kyouma

Hououin Kyouma

Posted 19 May 2012 - 04:51 PM

Why Bayern Munich beating Chelsea would be the biggest advert possible for the benefits FFP can have.

When Bayern Munich and Chelsea take to the field at the Allianz Arena on Saturday night in the Champions League final, for the winners it will be the culmination of a long and difficult process to reach the top of the continental game. But two very different economic paths have been trodden off the field as the pair have embarked on the pursuit of greatness.

What makes the two models particularly stark is the beginning of UEFAs Financial Fair Play (FFP) era, because while the Blues face a realignment of their economic structure to fit within the new parameters, the German club already find themselves succeeding with exactly the kind of fiscal set-up that Europes governing body want to see on a wider scale.

Therefore, Saturdays game could well be the biggest advert possible for the benefits FFP can have, or it could be its biggest setback. You could forgive Uefa president Michel Platini were he to turn up in Munich sporting a red and white scarf.

Posted Image

Roman Abramovich arrived at Chelsea in 2003 and immediately changed the face of football. The clubs liabilities totalling 80 million (100m) were cleared, big names were signed, a high-profile manager arrived, trophies followed, and suddenly Chelsea were one of the heavyweights of the world game. But, despite a promise to be financially self-sufficient within a decade, the Blues business model hasnt been much better than it was during the hugely mismanaged Ken Bates era.

As revealed by finance company Deloittes 2012 Football Money League report, Chelseas revenue rose by only 15.1 per cent in the first eight years under Abramovich, despite a continued increase in ticket prices, further boosts in broadcasting income, and the extra commercial streams which should have been opened up by the clubs significantly higher profile. Commercial revenue in 2010-11 stood at 62.8m, representing a rise of 23% on Abramovichs inaugural season of 2003-04, but a startling 33% fall from their figure in 2006-07, suggesting an inability to capitalise on increased revenue streams against the tough financial backdrop.

Stamford Bridge itself has proven a stumbling block in the clubs bid to become more financially viable, and just this month the Blues submitted an offer to buy the decommissioned Battersea Power Station on the south bank of the River Thames as their search for a more cost-effective stadium continues.

Also, with John Terry the clubs last youth product to become a first-team regular, and notable youngsters Josh McEachran, Ryan Betrand and Sam Hutchinson having racked up only 23 league appearance between them so far, there is uncertainty over the true effectiveness of the Blues youth set-up.

A further potential stumbling block in their plans to grow their income is presented by the reliance on income from the Champions League. This seasons sixth-place finish in the Premier League means that defeat on Saturday night would see them drop out of the elite European competition for the first time since Abramovichs reign began. This could deal a significant financial blow, with an estimated 60m at stake when considering TV distribution on top of prize money.

It would be the latest setback in Chelsea's bid to become more self-sufficient in line with the FFP regulations, as Geoff Mesher, author of Grant Thornton's Football Transfer Tracker, explains.

"Although Chelsea have attempted to be less generous than they might have traditionally been with wages, playing hard-ball over Gary Cahill's transfer and releasing high earners in Alex and Nicolas Anelka, big losses were made in sacking Carlo Ancelotti and Andre Villas-Boas which will have cost them a fair amount of money in pay-offs," Mesher told Goal.com.

"The loss of Champions League football would also be a huge hit next year, but one season would be a hiccup. If they were out for more than one year, it would be more worrying."

One of these worries for Chelsea is the potential loss of sponsorship, with kit sponsors Samsung Electronics also threatening to pull the plug on their 16.3m-a-year deal if Chelsea are only in the Europa League in 2012-13.

Being associated with a winning team is much better than a failing team, so its natural that Samsung should hope Chelsea can win [the Champions League], Samsung vice-president Sunny Hwang told Bloomberg. Of course that will play an important role when we decide whether or not we renew the contract.

This could badly affect them on the field, with the reduced income from prize money, broadcasting and the loss of a lucrative sponsorship deal potentially compromising their plans for transfer activity this summer.

But Geoff Mesher believes that the Blues could cash in on one of FFP's loopholes.

"One question mark comes over exactly how Uefa will apply the rules. We've already seen the episode of Manchester City with the naming rights of the Etihad Stadium, with people questioning whether that was at market value," adds Mesher. "There are clauses in the FFP rules to calculate the loss against the market rate, but I'm sure a lot of clubs will be massaging their figures.

Chelseas story is a far cry from that of Bayern's. Die Rotens phenomenal record for producing youngsters has its roots part in luck and part in judgement. Names such as Philipp Lahm, Holger Badstuber, Bastian Schweinsteiger and Thomas Muller have all come through the ranks in the past decade as the club have taken advantage of a lack of significant competition for players in the south of Germany.

A new push to develop more Lahms and Schweinsteigers comes as part of Bayerns wider aim of paying their own way in a world game increasingly dominated by clubs with massive debt burdens. While the likes of Manchester United, Real Madrid and Barcelona have huge levels of borrowing power, and Chelsea, Manchester City, Paris Saint-Germain and Inter are funded by sugardaddies, FCB have become reliant only on the money they generate as a club.

Posted Image

One local, two stars | Schweinsteiger came through the system, helping fund Robben

Bayern CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge has rightly boasted of his sides proud record on the balance sheet, and claimed recently that Chelsea will struggle to meet the criteria set in place by the first FFP deadline in 2013-14. "It is no secret that 60% of professional European football clubs are in the red. What I do know is that Chelsea would not meet the criteria of Financial Fair Play today," warned Rummenigge.

No great emphasis has been placed on broadcasting contracts at Bayern, partly because these deals have never been of such huge benefit to Bundesliga clubs as they have in the Premier League. The insolvency of KirchMedia in 2002 resulted in funds from the leagues TV deal reducing to just 20m in total, compared to Serie As then-80m package and the Premier Leagues 1.024bn three-year contract with Sky Sports.

That could change somewhat this summer, with a new agreement having been signed with Skywhich will increase the Bundesligas income from 412m to 628m. But that will not allow German clubs to get ahead of themselves, with controls put in place for clubs to live within their means, and the sustainable model is one which Bayern have succeeded in using to their benefit at home and abroad.

Posted Image

Worlds apart | Bayern spent less than 20% on transfers, but Chelsea splashed big

With hugely lucrative deals having been signed with Audi and Adidas, plus regular sell-outs of the 69,901-capacity Allianz Arena, there are fantastic opportunities for revenue which Bayern have exploited magnificently. In contrast to the 23% increase in Chelseas commercial revenue under Abramovich, FCBs has gone up by 69% over the same period, with their worst return (105.2m in 2003-04) dwarfing the Blues most profitable year (83.8m in 2006-07).

In real terms, it means that Bayern, who reported revenues 50.7m less than Chelseas in 2003-04, boasted receipts 71.6m greater than the London side last season. This has been the basis, but the attitude has been very different too.

As the above graph shows, Chelsea have regularly outspent Bayern in a bid to chase the dream of Champions League glory, yet Die Rotens sound management, with their emphasis on local products and players such as Toni Kroos and David Alaba who were both signed for pennies as teenagers, has meant that they have been able to bring in star names such as Franck Ribery, Arjen Robben and Mario Gomez without breaking the bank. By comparison, the Blues continue to splash out on the market, with Fernando Torres and David Luiz among recent costly signings after a previous spell of relative caution saw them fall behind the pack in the Premier League.

Bayerns wage bill also remains under 50% of their business volume, while the likes of Inter and AC Milan pay up to 85% in salaries. This means that the Bavarians are succeeding in a climate which still has a window open to those organisations working at a significant loss. It also means they are great examples that Uefa could hold up as a beacon to the rest.

One can only predict that Bayern will simply get stronger during a period in which the games other giants will need to adapt to the new era. And it's Chelsea who are trailing behind in the battle to make clubs responsible financial entities. Throw in the potential for great losses next term, and 90 minutes of Champions League football have never been more crucial.

http://www.goal.com/...rike-a-blow-for

Edited by 0, 19 May 2012 - 05:00 PM.

#38   Matieo

Matieo
  • Fav PlayersCristian Săpunaru

Posted 19 May 2012 - 04:57 PM

$5 for whoever reads that, and summarizes it in a paragraph so that no one will ever have to read the worst copy & paste job in the history of teh internetz.

#39   MancUnited

MancUnited
  • LocationHamburg
  • Fav PlayersThe Team
  • SupportsMU1878FC

Posted 19 May 2012 - 05:00 PM

Heard that Chelsea is starting with Torres and Drogba..sounds good to me, could be a very open game.

Bayern will probably start with this formation:

Neuer
Lahm--Boateng--Tymoshchuk--Contento
Schweinsteiger---Kroos
Robben------------------Ribery
Mller
Gomez

Chelsea maybe like this:

Cech

Bosingwa--Luiz--Cahill--Cole

Lampard--Essien

Mata--------------------Kalou

Torres---Drogba

Bertie Mee said to Matt Busby,

Have you heard of the Northbank Highbury?

No said Matt you cockney twat,

But I´ve heard of the Stretford Enders!

Posted Image

#40   Piksi

Piksi
  • SupportsSerbians

Posted 19 May 2012 - 05:01 PM

$5 for whoever reads that, and summarizes it in a paragraph so that no one will ever have to read the worst copy & paste job in the history of teh internetz.

I didn't read it but I'll sum it up.

Bayern don't spend hundreds of millions on players and use their awesome academy to promote players. Chelsea helped ruin football with their spending. Bayern is awesome.

#41   Hououin Kyouma

Hououin Kyouma

Posted 19 May 2012 - 05:05 PM

It's a good read while you're waiting for the game to start.

BTW, cleaned up the cut & paste job, lol. Not my fault the formatting options on this board are screwy.

Edited by 0, 19 May 2012 - 05:17 PM.

#42   Mane Garrincha

Mane Garrincha

Posted 19 May 2012 - 05:09 PM

Dreydon criticizing a Premier League club. Nothing new here byos.

Even if I do hope that Bayern crush Chelsea.

░▄░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░▄
██░░░░░██▀░░░░░░░▀█▄░░░░░█
███░░▄▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░█░░░███
▀███▄▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█░███
░▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░█████
░░░█░▄▀▄░░░░░░▄▀▄░░░░████
░▄░█░░▀░░▄▀▄░░░▀░░░▄░░█
░█▀▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▀█░░█
░█▄█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄█░░░█
░░█▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░░░░█▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█

#43   ------------------------

------------------------
  • SupportsChelsea | Los Che

Posted 19 May 2012 - 05:31 PM

You going to Munich deano?

Nah, went to Moscow but not going to Munich :).

Dreydon criticizing a Premier League club. Nothing new here byos.

Even if I do hope that Bayern crush Chelsea.

And to think he used to be an Arsenal fan :whistling: lol

Bertrand playing left wing is a big call if true.

Although will help against Robben, and he can cross well.. its a risky move.

Posted Image

If Iniesta and Xavi was one player. ; )

#44   MancUnited

MancUnited
  • LocationHamburg
  • Fav PlayersThe Team
  • SupportsMU1878FC

Posted 19 May 2012 - 05:35 PM

Wow this is Chelsea's line-up:

Cech

Bosingwa--Luiz--Cahill--Cole

Lampard--Mikel

Kalou----Mata----Bertrand

Drogba

Bertrand playing is a big surprise. Debut in the CL final..wow.

Edited by 0, 19 May 2012 - 05:36 PM.

Bertie Mee said to Matt Busby,

Have you heard of the Northbank Highbury?

No said Matt you cockney twat,

But I´ve heard of the Stretford Enders!

Posted Image

#45   Mane Garrincha

Mane Garrincha

Posted 19 May 2012 - 05:38 PM

Nah, went to Moscow but not going to Munich :).

And to think he used to be an Arsenal fan :whistling: lol

Bertrand playing left wing is a big call if true.

Although will help against Robben, and he can cross well.. its a risky move.

You'll have to explain this one to me.

A few of the papers had Bertrand down as starting. Still something of a surprise to see him in there though.

░▄░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░▄
██░░░░░██▀░░░░░░░▀█▄░░░░░█
███░░▄▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░█░░░███
▀███▄▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█░███
░▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░█████
░░░█░▄▀▄░░░░░░▄▀▄░░░░████
░▄░█░░▀░░▄▀▄░░░▀░░░▄░░█
░█▀▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▀█░░█
░█▄█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄█░░░█
░░█▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░░░░█▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█