TIKI-TAKA

Bringing you the beautiful game

Bayern Munich vs. Chelsea

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
407 replies to this topic

#1   II Capitano

II Capitano
  • LocationAberdeen

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:24 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpKOV-EaFj8

Chelsea and Bayern Munich head into this game having caused major upsets. Chelsea battled their way into the final with two fantastic defensive performances against Spanish giants, Barcelona. The club from Spain had more than enough chances to score, but were rather wasteful in-front of goal. The other Spanish giants, Real Madrid, struggled to contain the midfield trio of Luis Gustavo, Bastian Schweinsteiger, and the star of the show, without doubt, in both legs, Toni Kroos. Despite scoring two early goals in the second leg, with the momentum in Real Madrid's direction, they headed out on penalties.

Both teams are missing integral players. For Chelsea: John Terry, Branislav Ivanovic, Raul Meireles, and Ramires. Chelsea will miss the solidity they had in both legs against Barcelona, without Terry, Ivanovic, and Ramires. The industriousness of Ramires will be severely missed, and that is the downfall of his suspension, there is no adequate cover. For Bayern Munich: Holger Badstuber, David Alaba, and Gustavo. Daniel van Buyten is rumoured to be starting at centre-back, with Philipp Lahm shifted to left back, and the introduction of Rafinha at right back. However, the Bavarians will, ironically, miss the industriousness of Gustavo, who has played a pivotal role throughout this season.

If Chelsea are to win the Champions League, then they need to display the same resolute defending against Barcelona. David Luiz will be welcomed back with open arms, the Blues need the Brazilian to continue with the great performances he has put in, in the second half of the season. Alongside him, there is still an element of uncertainty, as Gary Cahill is still struggling to make it in time. Some of the "fringe" players, such as Michael Essien, a player who has completely lost himself after the injuries he has received in the past couple of seasons, need to put in their best games. Chelsea doesn't have mobile midfielders, and that's why Ramires is a big loss for the team. The "fringe" players didn't exactly make a great impression against Liverpool, too.

Arjen Robben, once a Chelsea player, Franck Ribery, and Mario Gomez all have the ability to kill the game off. Since the Schalke game this year, Robben has regained some consistency. Ribery has been a threat for the majority of the season, and regardless of his diving abilities, which are second to none, he is, at the moment, more dangerous than his partner in crime. Robbery it may well be. Gomez's overall ability may not be on the level of your van Persies, Benzemas, or even Drogbas, but his persistence separates him from the rest in his category. Give him one sniff of goal, and he could make you pay. This has been highlighted on numerous occasions this season, but more prominently this was evident against Real Madrid, in the first leg of the semi-final encounter.

There is so much on stake for both clubs. For Chelsea, this trophy is important for two reasons, one of them being that they need to win to gain entry into the Champions League next season, and the other being Roman Abramovich's apparent dream to win this prestiges competition. Regarding Bayern Munich, this trophy is to make up for what has been a season to forget, after failing to secure the Bundesliga. What a better way to do so. What lessons have we been taught about Chelsea? First and foremost, you can't write the team off, no matter what. We seen the poor defensive performances against Napoli and Benfica, but the team has progressed to the final, unexpectedly. You would, however, be forgiven for opting for Bayern Munich, primarily because the motivation is higher considering that they're playing at home.

This post has been promoted to an article

Posted Image

#2   Carl Monday

Carl Monday
  • LocationSydney
  • Fav PlayersMessi, Sneijder, Zidane, Pirlo, Gerrard
  • SupportsLiverpool

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:57 PM

I don't think chelsea's makeshift defence will be able to deal with the attacking quality Bayern have, however they still have the momentum and enough good players to give Bayern a run. Chelsea are underdogs but their fans should be proud to be playing in the final regardless of outside support.
Posted Image

everybody has an idol

#3   Entourage

Entourage
  • Supporters
  • SupportsChelsea FC

Posted 12 May 2012 - 02:31 AM

We're severe underdogs going into this one. We might not even have a fit CB to choose from while Bayern is playing at home. I just hope it's a good game with no stupid red cards/pks.

Untitled.png

Tiki-Taka FIFA 10 Champion

“Everything I say is mind games.  Everything I do is mind games. Everything is mind games. The only thing that is not mind games is the results. That's not mind games.” - Jose Mourinho

#4   II Capitano

II Capitano
  • LocationAberdeen

Posted 12 May 2012 - 02:51 AM

I don't think chelsea's makeshift defence will be able to deal with the attacking quality Bayern have, however they still have the momentum and enough good players to give Bayern a run. Chelsea are underdogs but their fans should be proud to be playing in the final regardless of outside support.

That's exactly what I said when the team went down to ten men against Barcelona, and when they played with an alien defence. I can see this being exactly like the Champions League final in 2010, where Inter Milan used the counter attack effectively, and subsequently won the game, but that requires a great collective effort. Bayern Munich's defence isn't as solid as some may think, they're very shaky at the back, and van Buyten isn't the best of defenders. I agree with your last comment, though. Even if Chelsea don't win, it's great for them to be in the final once again because no one expected them to reach it in the first place, plus the fact that they have had a horrid season, by their standards. Also, there were some ludicrous comments being made, such as English football on the decline etc., just because, for a change, English clubs haven't done as well in previous seasons.

Posted Image

#5   Piksi

Piksi
  • SupportsSerbians

Posted 12 May 2012 - 03:59 AM

Ramires is going to be a far bigger loss than any of the defenders.

#6   OGC

OGC
  • SupportsAjax & Chelsea

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:02 AM

As long as Luiz and Cahill is fit we'll be fine. Bosingwa on his day can be quite a deadly weapon and can hopefully help in pinning Ribery back with his ability going forward. I'm more worried about Ramires missing out, he's been so crucial for us especially with Essien so terribly out of form.

The result of this final will have a huge effect on the direction the club is going. Lose and it will set us back a few years in terms of finance. Win and I have no doubts that big players will come for big money and finally we'll be able to move on and replace players and satisfy Abramovich's obsession with this competition. Quite possibly the biggest game in the club's history.

Would love nothing more to see us win it this year than any other year to give guys like Lampard and Drogba the perfect send off for the great things they've done for this club.

#7   MancUnited

MancUnited
  • LocationHamburg
  • Fav PlayersThe Team
  • SupportsMU1878FC

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:48 PM

Just play like Dortmund and you'll beat Bayern. ;)

Bertie Mee said to Matt Busby,

Have you heard of the Northbank Highbury?

No said Matt you cockney twat,

But I´ve heard of the Stretford Enders!

Posted Image

#8   ------------------------

------------------------
  • SupportsChelsea | Los Che

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:03 PM

Ramires is going to be a far bigger loss than any of the defenders.

Co-sign. Our best player this season bar none.. looks like we're going to have to hope Essien gets back his Iron Mike Bison alter-ego and gives a throwback appearance.

That being said, Drogba vs. Bayern's defence :dribble:

Posted Image

If Iniesta and Xavi was one player. ; )

#9   Tokyo Sexwale

Tokyo Sexwale

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:34 PM

Proença's the referee, after the UEFA passed up on Björn Kuipers because he made post-match comments.

AJAXAJAXAJAXAJAXAJAXAJAXAJAXAJAXAJAXAJAXAJAXAJAXAJAXAJAXAJAX
AJAXAJAXAJAXAJAXAJAXAJAXAJAX
AJAXAJAX
AJAXAJAX
AJAXAJAX
AJAXAJAX

Posted Image

#10   Gooner Mark

Gooner Mark
  • England Moderators
  • LocationDublin, Ireland
  • SupportsArsenal

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:52 PM

It's nice to be able to watch this without it impacting Arsenal being in the competition next season. I'm probably routing for Bayern because obviously I don't want Chelsea to be the first London club to win it but if they do, it means Spurs won't be there next season so you look at the brightside eitherway.

Ramires being out is a serious blow for Chelsea but as has been mentioned above, Drogba vs that Bayern defence, now minus Badstuber and Alaba too could be very interesting indeed. Potentially a lot of goals in this final actually. Two sides with some quality attackers missing key defenders.

#11   OGC

OGC
  • SupportsAjax & Chelsea

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:44 AM

This week seems to be going by very slowly...

#12   Matieo

Matieo
  • Fav PlayersCristian Săpunaru

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:37 PM

:tumbleweed:

Watch the match end 3-3 after regulation, then 4-4 after ET, and 16-15 on pens. Where were you when...

#13   Messiisgod

Messiisgod
  • Members
  • Fav PlayersMessi, Scholes, Iniesta, Kaka (In his prime!!)
  • SupportsManchester United

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:41 PM

Wouldn't that be something! Im not sure about this one, i think it is the first final in a few years where there isn't really a clear favourite! Im leaning towards chelsea though!

#14   EveryPlayerHereGetsSold

EveryPlayerHereGetsSold
  • Supporters
  • LocationManchester
  • Fav PlayersFernan, Negredo, Kun, Reus, Messi, Silva
  • SupportsManchester City F.C

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:27 AM

Hope Chelsea bring the trophy back, I'm feeling 3-2 AET Torres hattrick.

tumblr_mtkr6v30iu1qesuimo2_500.png

#15   Brick Top

Brick Top
  • LocationKendal/Manchester.
  • Fav PlayersRamsey, Pogba, Koke.

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:29 PM

Hope Chelsea win, English after all, so yeah be a good day for football with this after the Blackpool v West Ham Championship play-off final.

MCFC - BULLS