TIKI-TAKA

Bringing you the beautiful game

NeoBux

Manchester City v Manchester United

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
169 replies to this topic

#166   Roger

Roger

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:52 AM

I don't think anyone should be saying anything's 100% done and dusted. nowhere near, tbh.

Well, in the grand scheme of things, of course that is true.... but *nowhere* near is a bit overstated.

Newcastle and QPR both have a lot left to fight for, so both will be tough opponents for City. However, I have to say, they've got some really hungry players that want this title more than anyone. Players like Silva, Kun and Nasri are seeing that finish line closer than they've ever seen it before. They've won smaller cups, but never a league championship. Add to the mix Toure Yaya who has won it all at club level and knows what it takes to push through to the finish line, and I think they're really going to pull it off (sorry seaders and other Manchester Untied fans... just what I think is going to happen). You could see Toure Yaya putting the team on his shoulders in this match, and I feel he'll be doing the same for the last 180 minutes of the season to make sure this team gets the 6 points to seal the deal. And while I see Manchester United winning their 2 matches with Sunderland and Swansea who have very little to play for themselves, I don't see you guys getting the goals it will take to get that tie breaker........ unless we see some crazy 7 or 8 goal win in the last match that becomes very suspicious ;)

Roger

Posted Image

#167   fer nando

fer nando
  • Members
  • Fav PlayersMichael Owen
  • SupportsLiverpool FC, England

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:09 AM

man u still have the advantage given that they have easier fixtures ahead
newcastle and qpr are both tough matches for man c as they are still fighting for champions league and survival respectively next season

#168   Keith.

Keith.

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:09 AM

I don't think Ferguson would fully accept that he got his selection or tactics wrong. Personally, I think he did get it wrong. That said, I think he would argue that if United had done the basics right - ie. defended a corner properly - then you would have gotten the necessary point. Assuming, despite what he said pre-match, that his aim was to actually play for the draw then you could argue that his tactics and team selection should have actually worked.

The reality is that City only managed three attempts on target - one of which was the goal and another which was Clichy's effort when United had pushed on late in the game. So despite City's dominance, they didn't actually create that many clear cut chances and I think for that reason, Ferguson will be more annoyed with the manner in which United conceded the goal than anything else.

Now personally, I think that Ferguson put too much focus on the tactics and essentially let the shape of his team have too much of a say on the line-up. Tactical selections are of course important if you're going to have any chance at the top level of football but there is always the argument that you play your best players and given how impressive the likes of Valencia and Welbeck have been in comparison to Park and Giggs it does seem as if he shot himself in the foot dropping those two despite how much thought he probably put into his team selection.

That is what I think too. I actually think Ferguson has bottled this title race. People will point to Everton and Wigan and so on but this game was the match to win or get a result at least and he should have started Valencia and Young and play two midfielders and just ask for work rate from them but Utd's main strength is using the wings and making the pitch wide.

You have to put pressure on the opposition sometime during the match and they failed to do so. You want to get the City defence moving about and get crosses into the box. Ferguson just went beyond negative and played Park for the first time in like 3 months which was an awful decision to make. Park could not live with the intensity of the match and Toure destroyed him for work rate and ability. They had to use the strengths they have but Ferguson left it all on the bench.

No one can say City had been negative in the match. They defended like warriors at times but that is what you need. They also tried to score again and kept the full backs going forward. Clichy with his shot and Nasri should have scored to make it 2-0. Man Utd got what they deserved and that was nothing.

Edited by 0, 02 May 2012 - 05:13 AM.

#169   seaders

seaders
  • Supporters
  • Locationleft a little, right a little, aahhhh, just there
  • SupportsPlaysoutwidebutlikestocomeinsidearistas

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:51 AM

Well, in the grand scheme of things, of course that is true.... but *nowhere* near is a bit overstated.

Newcastle and QPR both have a lot left to fight for, so both will be tough opponents for City. However, I have to say, they've got some really hungry players that want this title more than anyone. Players like Silva, Kun and Nasri are seeing that finish line closer than they've ever seen it before. They've won smaller cups, but never a league championship. Add to the mix Toure Yaya who has won it all at club level and knows what it takes to push through to the finish line, and I think they're really going to pull it off (sorry seaders and other Manchester Untied fans... just what I think is going to happen). You could see Toure Yaya putting the team on his shoulders in this match, and I feel he'll be doing the same for the last 180 minutes of the season to make sure this team gets the 6 points to seal the deal. And while I see Manchester United winning their 2 matches with Sunderland and Swansea who have very little to play for themselves, I don't see you guys getting the goals it will take to get that tie breaker........ unless we see some crazy 7 or 8 goal win in the last match that becomes very suspicious ;)

oh, don't get me wrong, I too think that they are gonna win it, but certainly no more so than when they were 8 points ahead, nor more sure that we were gonna win it after being 8 points clear either.

the part of bolded works both ways, though. not having experienced the pressure, not having 'Been there, Got the T-Shirt' is a huge things as we've seen time and time from fresh teams challenging at the top. if City hadn't capitulated, I'd have agreed more with that, but it's shown that when the end goal is *actually* in sight, they seem to shit themselves. for me, it's all about the mary poppin Tevez and Yaya Toure. they're the two who I do think will see them over the line. I said last year, when City knocked us out of the FA Cup, swap Yaya with any of our midfielders and we'd have won the tie, and I don't think it's too wrong to make the same statement about this game.

Posted Image

#170   Sir Chesney

Sir Chesney
  • LocationUK

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:55 AM

For me, it'll still go down to the wire, it's simply advantage City at the moment. You can follow the next stage of developments here, though. Link

I must say, working in Chelsea has been hell these past few weeks, not only have I had to put up with smug faces, but more often stupid, drunk, singing faces, and dangerous driving on the roads outside, from drivers who aren't drunk, apparently, but choosing to celebrate in such an idiotic manner. My only hope is that it all comes crashing down on them soon, so that my pretend smile turns into a pretend frown.

Posted Image

There's only one Aaron Ramsey | With Wenger until the end #10