TIKI-TAKA

Bringing you the beautiful game

Chelsea v Manchester United

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
253 replies to this topic

#1   II Capitano

II Capitano
  • LocationAberdeen

Posted 04 February 2012 - 02:01 PM

Posted ImagePosted Image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JssKj54ZtM&feature=player_embedded

Will Villas-Boas play with Gary Cahill and David Luiz? We know what happened last time when Luiz played his début game for Chelsea. The Blues went onto win the fixture 2-1, thanks to a Luiz scoring a fantastic volley, which was the equaliser, and his man of the match display. I am not saying Cahill will score in emphatic fashion, he rarely gets forward from the back anyway, but we may witness another performance like Luiz’s.

But Chelsea’s main problem lies in midfield. The industrious Ramires, who normally does all of the running in midfield, is out of action for up to four weeks, which is a big blow for Chelsea. Their midfield has not been ticking this season on a consistent basis. Frank Lampard is a doubt, but reports have emerged that he is set to play. After all, Chelsea need his experience in the middle. Raul Meireles has been a poor signing – the transition from central midfield to, essentially, a holding midfielder has not gone as planned. We have to remember, also, that Meireles was one of the reasons Chelsea lost by three goals to one at Old Trafford, earlier in the season. Things wont be the same this time round, you would think.

(Insert Chelsea section. Tried to add something.)

United also have similar problems, most notably – Anders Lindegaard is out for at least a month. The Dane has enjoyed a great streak of games under his belt, showing tremendous confidence and displacing David de Gea on the bench. Ben Amos is in contention to start, let us not forget that. He has looked relatively comfortable in the two games he has played in this season, against Crystal Palace in the Carling Cup and Stoke City in the Premier League. Nonetheless, most people expect de Gea to start this crucial fixture, but questions are still being asked of the Spaniard.

No problems in defence, as of late. Chris Smalling and Jonny Evans are hot on form, which is great to see. Rio Ferdinand should start the fixture, alongside either Smalling or Evans, either one will do, but you still get a sense that Smalling is more dominant. No questions at right back or left back, but let us hope Patrice Evra continues the fine form he has been in for the last few weeks.

The squad should be boosted with the return of Tom Cleverley, Nani, Ashley Young and Wayne Rooney. I strongly doubt that we will see Cleverley and Young start, but we will definitely see Nani and Rooney feature from the beginning. Those two are crucial, granted that they have not been in the best of form over recent weeks.

A win is crucial, we are currently level on points with City. We need to win every game leading up to the game at the Etihad, which, I know, is easier said that done, but it is not impossible. The loss of Terry and Cole is a big blow for Chelsea, and we should really be looking at taking advantage of their defensive frailties.

Rushed it, not my best, but something had to be put up. Sorry.

Edited by 0, 11 February 2012 - 05:51 PM.

Posted Image

#2   Mania

Mania
  • Fav PlayersCleverson

Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:59 PM

Nice one for getting a thread up mate.

I think the players coming back from injury will be a big boost. Nani and Valencia on the wings would be great. Rooney and Welbeck up front possibly too, which I think would cause serious problems to Chelsea's defence. I think Chelsea are there for the taking this time at Stamford Bridge. They are always a solid unit at home but this is the weakest I think they've been for a while. For once I am quite confident we can get 3 points, which would be very handy considering City look likely to take 3 points now.

Let's just hope they don't use this snow as an excuse to postpone the match again eh.

FOREVERYMANCARELIGION
MUFCx

#3   Gooner Mark

Gooner Mark
  • England Moderators
  • LocationDublin, Ireland
  • SupportsArsenal

Posted 04 February 2012 - 07:03 PM

Hoping for a United win here. Would keep the gap between Arsenal and Chelsea at just two points.

I think with de Gea in goal, United could be vulnerable at the back. I'm not saying Amos is the answer, but de Gea is just so unconvincing. Hopefully he can put in a big performance and help United come out of this with a win.

#4   Silky Johnson

Silky Johnson
  • Supporters
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Fav PlayersDonovan, Keane, RVP, Rooney, Bradley, Altidore.
  • SupportsManchester United, Los Angeles Galaxy, and USMNT.

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:01 PM

Should be winning this no excuses.

241knxk.png

#5   II Capitano

II Capitano
  • LocationAberdeen

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:39 PM

Nice one for getting a thread up mate.

I think the players coming back from injury will be a big boost. Nani and Valencia on the wings would be great. Rooney and Welbeck up front possibly too, which I think would cause serious problems to Chelsea's defence. I think Chelsea are there for the taking this time at Stamford Bridge. They are always a solid unit at home but this is the weakest I think they've been for a while. For once I am quite confident we can get 3 points, which would be very handy considering City look likely to take 3 points now.

Let's just hope they don't use this snow as an excuse to postpone the match again eh.

Thanks, mate, sorry it was rushed a little bit, will make it up.

Definitely, the two biggest boosts are Rooney and Nani. Although Rooney hasn't exactly performed as expected of him over the past few weeks, we still need his presence in the side, otherwise we don't look comfortable enough when we attack down the middle. Nani is rediscovering some great form, had a great game against Arsenal, and his comeback should help boost our attacking threat down the left, hopefully. Chelsea are there to be taken advantage of. No Terry or Cole, two integral players - that is a side who are defensively frail. The replacement at centre-back will probably be Cahill, who hasn't really impressed me at all this season, he has regressed, but is more than capable of filling Terry's shoes. However, at left back, Villas-Boas said that it will either be the inexperienced Bertrand or Bosingwa. That can only mean another cameo display from Valencia, I mean, Bertrand is a player whose nerves could so easily get to him, and Bosingwa has poor positional awareness.

We should be looking to pick up the three points at Stamford Bridge, but our record is dire when playing there, it's laughable. But, it's partly down to poor refereeing decisions, partly down to poor player performances, which I can still remember vividly.

Hoping for a United win here. Would keep the gap between Arsenal and Chelsea at just two points.

I think with de Gea in goal, United could be vulnerable at the back. I'm not saying Amos is the answer, but de Gea is just so unconvincing. Hopefully he can put in a big performance and help United come out of this with a win.

What we have learned over the past couple of seasons is that Fergie could field anyone, so we may see Amos. However, that isn't exactly going to to improve de Gea's confidence. Amos has only played in two games, fair enough to him as he looked relatively comfortable in both games, but he wasn't tested fully. The squad rotation hasn't aided de Gea's confidence, for instance, when he was on form, Fergie decided to bench him, no logic in that. And, what's even more laughable is that he came back to action, he was introduced against Blackburn, of all teams. He has polished up on a lot, but he still doesn't exert himself in the best of ways when dealing with crosses, which is my only concern.

Posted Image

#6   Entourage

Entourage
  • Supporters
  • SupportsChelsea FC

Posted 05 February 2012 - 12:21 AM

I'm expecting a scoreline of either 3-1 or 2-0 to Manchester United. I'm just hoping that we at least keep it close and don't roll over too easily. Maybe Torres will start his streak going again! Here's to hoping right? Haha

Best of luck to all the Man Utd fans on here.

Untitled.png

Tiki-Taka FIFA 10 Champion

“Everything I say is mind games.  Everything I do is mind games. Everything is mind games. The only thing that is not mind games is the results. That's not mind games.” - Jose Mourinho

#7   Sir Chesney

Sir Chesney
  • LocationUK

Posted 05 February 2012 - 12:37 AM

So, what are the odds this match gets called off tomorrow? I was told the same thing happened to the game between Chelsea and United on December 2010, too. Snowy.

Posted Image

There's only one Aaron Ramsey | With Wenger until the end #10

#8   Entourage

Entourage
  • Supporters
  • SupportsChelsea FC

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:12 AM

Is the weather really that bad in the UK?

Untitled.png

“Everything I say is mind games.  Everything I do is mind games. Everything is mind games. The only thing that is not mind games is the results. That's not mind games.” - Jose Mourinho

#9   The Show Goes On

The Show Goes On

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:25 AM

Stamford Bridge conditions about an hour ago. :hmm:

Posted Image

Isn't undersoil heating supposed to help with this kind of snowfall or is this amount simply too much?

#10   Entourage

Entourage
  • Supporters
  • SupportsChelsea FC

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:00 AM

Usually it's never the pitch that's a problem, it's the surrounding areas.

Untitled.png

#11   Sir Chesney

Sir Chesney
  • LocationUK

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:07 AM

Well, the conditions could be icy tomorrow, which is quite dangerous to get about in large crowds. The snow has changed everything in just about five hours. I think the game might be called off.

Posted Image

There's only one Aaron Ramsey | With Wenger until the end #10

#12   francis

francis
  • Supporters
  • LocationMontrey'all
  • Fav PlayersScholesa, Evra, Fletcha, Berba, Vida.
  • SupportsUtd.

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:37 AM

lol... What crap. Last year i was able to attend the game because of the postponing though. :P
Posted Image

#13   OGC

OGC
  • SupportsAjax & Chelsea

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:47 AM

Good, maybe we can get our act together in the mean time.

#14   Mania

Mania
  • Fav PlayersCleverson

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:58 AM

Pulling that old trick again. To be honest it's understandable, I nearly crashed into a ditch earlier tonight because of the conditions and the south is worse than the north I hear.

FOREVERYMANCARELIGION
MUFCx

#15   Entourage

Entourage
  • Supporters
  • SupportsChelsea FC

Posted 05 February 2012 - 04:42 AM

Haha I'm guessing that's tongue and cheek. It's more up to the police than it is our club. There are some things that transcend football and the safety of fans (home and away) is certainly one of those. I, for one, hope the game is not called off because I'd rather us drop points now than later on in the season when our backs are to the wall. Oh well, que sera sera.

Untitled.png