TIKI-TAKA

Bringing you the beautiful game

NeoBux

Liverpool 5-1 Oldham Athletic | Jan 6 2012

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
56 replies to this topic

#46   Goodison

Goodison
  • LocationLiverpool
  • SupportsEverton

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:10 PM

However I'm not sure what the big deal with this is. There were 52 arrests made last year for the same thing in the PL alone and Liverpool and Fulham were the only clubs to not have any fans arrested.

Its not a club competition. You will struggle to find any club's fans that hasn't got a number of racists, its disgraceful but its true that there is still a very small minority of the population who still live in the stone age and have racist views.

Its like fans who throw objects onto the pitch or partake in hooligan activity. Its not something to try and sweep under the carpet. It needs to be in the spotlight and in the public knowledge because people need to understand that that behaviour will not be tolerated.

It is a big deal because 1 act of racism at a football stadium is 1 too many. The colour of the shirt the offender is wearing should not have any impact on whether you think it should be regarded as a big deal or not. A footballer in 2012 in tears because of racial abuse is a huge deal.

Edited by 0, 07 January 2012 - 11:11 PM.

Posted Image

#47   Travis Bickle

Travis Bickle
  • SupportsLiverpool FC

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:17 PM

Its not a club competition. You will struggle to find any club's fans that hasn't got a number of racists, its disgraceful but its true that there is still a very small minority of the population who still live in the stone age and have racist views.

Its like fans who throw objects onto the pitch or partake in hooligan activity. Its not something to try and sweep under the carpet. It needs to be in the spotlight and in the public knowledge because people need to understand that that behaviour will not be tolerated.

It is a big deal because 1 act of racism at a football stadium is 1 too many. The colour of the shirt the offender is wearing should not have any impact on whether you think it should be regarded as a big deal or not. A footballer in 2012 in tears because of racial abuse is a huge deal.

I think Boavista is asking why this is such a big deal to opposition fans and the media when there is evidently so much more racism going on that doesn't get given the time of day in the press, on TV, on forums etc.

Bunny Rabbits

#48   Goodison

Goodison
  • LocationLiverpool
  • SupportsEverton

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:23 PM

But to be fair off the top of my head I can't think of any other event in recent football which shows the affects of racism on the victim and puts the subject into the spotlight.

The obvious argument would be the Terry situation. But that isn't getting blanket coverage in the media because it is under a criminal investigation, and cannot be discussed. yet.

Posted Image

#49   Dr Tobias Fünke

Dr Tobias Fünke
  • LocationLiverpool
  • Fav PlayersLucas Leiva
  • SupportsLiverpool

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:34 PM

Yes my point was there are quite a few fans from other clubs taking moral high grounds over the situation when it their own clubs fans are guilty of the same thing.

Posted Image

#50   Travis Bickle

Travis Bickle
  • SupportsLiverpool FC

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:37 PM

But to be fair off the top of my head I can't think of any other event in recent football which shows the affects of racism on the victim and puts the subject into the spotlight.

The obvious argument would be the Terry situation. But that isn't getting blanket coverage in the media because it is under a criminal investigation, and cannot be discussed. yet.

That's true, yes. You're probably right, mate.

You're wrong about the Terry thing though. It absolutely can be discussed but people aren't doing so.

Bunny Rabbits

#51   The Colonel

The Colonel
  • LocationThe OC
  • Fav PlayersCarlton Cole
  • SupportsLiverpool FC

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:47 PM

Terry get's the benefit of the doubt but everyone was so quick to get on Suarez's back. Terry has been so brave through this situation Suarez has been slimy. Pisses me right off.

The Liverpool fan assaulting the Oldham player was disgusting and embarrassing (Aygamendi?).

#52   Goodison

Goodison
  • LocationLiverpool
  • SupportsEverton

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:56 PM

Yes my point was there are quite a few fans from other clubs taking moral high grounds over the situation when it their own clubs fans are guilty of the same thing.

The fans can take the moral high ground though as they themselves are not racist. You can also take the same high ground as them as you are not a racist. The team the racist happens to support is irrelevant. People are attacking the racists, not Liverpool.

That's true, yes. You're probably right, mate.

You're wrong about the Terry thing though. It absolutely can be discussed but people aren't doing so.

I'm just basing the Terry thing on what I have heard on two separate radio phone ins I've heard in recent weeks where people have been stopped discussing the Terry situation due to the legal situation. I have no evidence that this is the case though. But if it is an even slightly shady area on whether it can be discussed or not, I can see why the media aren't touching it yet. Wait till the 1st of Feb when the prosecution is, I'm sure the media shit storm will be at full force.

Posted Image

#53   Travis Bickle

Travis Bickle
  • SupportsLiverpool FC

Posted 08 January 2012 - 12:01 AM

I'm just basing the Terry thing on what I have heard on two separate radio phone ins I've heard in recent weeks where people have been stopped discussing the Terry situation due to the legal situation. I have no evidence that this is the case though. But if it is an even slightly shady area on whether it can be discussed or not, I can see why the media aren't touching it yet. Wait till the 1st of Feb when the prosecution is, I'm sure the media shit storm will be at full force.

Media shitstorm? They'll mention it in passing and then praise him to high Heaven for being so 'valiant' for turning up at Chelsea's next game.

Bunny Rabbits

#54   Goodison

Goodison
  • LocationLiverpool
  • SupportsEverton

Posted 08 January 2012 - 12:08 AM

Media shitstorm? They'll mention it in passing and then praise him to high Heaven for being so 'valiant' for turning up at Chelsea's next game.

John Terry was not given an easy ride for adultery 2 years ago. He certainly wont be given an easy ride if whilst being the England captain he is prosecuted for racism.

Posted Image

#55   Travis Bickle

Travis Bickle
  • SupportsLiverpool FC

Posted 08 January 2012 - 12:43 AM

John Terry was not given an easy ride for adultery 2 years ago. He certainly wont be given an easy ride if whilst being the England captain he is prosecuted for racism.

That's because a lot of people in this country care more about which celebrity banged another celebrity. Have a read of the below article and tell me the English press don't fucking adore this guy no matter what. This is from The Guardian as well, a paper I normally have a lot of time for:

The scene at the end was the perfect cliché of the never-say-die, heroic captain. One point in the bag and another seemingly made, John Terrysauntered towards the band of Blues, peeled off his shirt and waded bare-chested over the advertising hoardings to hand his Chelsea jersey to one of his disciples. As he walked away, he banged his fist on his heart.

In Planet Terry, the vignette represented how fond he is of a performance that reeks of his own determination to tackle adversity head on. But the problem with Planet Terry is that there is no place for the kind of subtlety that would better suit his current circumstances. As Liverpool discovered with their T-shirt idea, the rest of the world does not always appreciate bravado in times of controversy.

Mind you, keeping his head down has never been part of his approach during an eventful 13-year career. And besides, do the boos hurt? Do the chants cut deep? Does the microscope burn? It has never appeared that way, and few players are as efficient at erecting a force field that such stuff bounces off. What wounds John Terry is losing, conceding goals, straining to be half the player he was in his pomp.

Brickbats have seldom seemed to bother him half as much as his detractors would like. And there were many, here at White Hart Lane, many and varied.

Not for the first time Terry found himself under special scrutiny, with his on-pitch performance analysed for signs of any stress emanating from the unnattractive headlines he currently commands following the CPS announcement that he will stand trial for alleged racist abuse.

From the moment he emerged into the spotlight he did what he always does, presenting a devil-may-care attitude. He evidently wants the world to know that whatever happens outside the pitch stays on the other side of the white line and so he sprinted towards the Park Lane, puffed his chest out, patted his badge and saluted the Chelsea contingent. Of course, Terry was the subject of some toxic hostility. But he gave the unmistakable impression that his worst moment came when he was exposed for footballing, rather than any other, limitations.

Eight minutes into this compelling encounter he heard nothing but white noise. Terry was caught dawdling as Tottenham broke down the left. Emmanuel Adebayor was his man. Terry was in front of him. Yet as Gareth Bale's cross skidded over, Chelsea's captain slowed up just as Adebayor anticipated keenly. The difference in sharpness between the two men helped to give Spurs the lead.

Tellingly he recovered from that to put in the kind of performance that had his manager purring and reflecting how, perversely, Terry has increased his levels since "the incident". His leadership was evident as he took charge of a reshuffled defence. Early in the second half his yen for goals in circumstances such as this rose again as he thumped a header on target.

In stoppage time he blocked what would have been an Adebayor match-winner. The scale of insults aimed at him fluctuated during the game from the kind of ordinary rudeness he might expect every week, via observations about his family's misdemeanours to some inevitable insinuations concerning his upcoming court appearance. The idea of arming stewards with headcams to guard against the most unacceptable of behaviour in the stands was not entirely successful. But as an idea it makes one wonder whether some bright spark could come up with a tiny device that footballers themselves could wear, armband-cam, for example, which might clarify instances of abuse on the pitch for all to see.

The visiting support reacted to the Terry baiting with an array of supportive songs. Then they changed tack and decided to pick at Tottenham, pointing out in a none too complimentary way: "You stupid bastards, you burn your own town."

But it was a measure of how Chelsea's players responded that the Terry-ometer soon quietened down. Once his team drew level through Daniel Sturridge, both sections of the crowd felt compelled to acknowledge that a football match broke out. Terry has plenty of previous when it comes to getting on with the job while extra-curricular shenanigans shadow his every move. If anything, history shows he uses moments of adversity as fuel to his fire.

There were match-winning performances for Chelsea after revelations about his liaison with Wayne Bridge's former girlfriend, and after his father made tabloid headlines for selling cocaine in an Essex bar. There was a goal for his country after he missed a penalty in the Champions League final. There was a composed defensive performance and clean sheet after he was stripped of the England captaincy.

Not that it always works. A couple of months ago against Arsenal, in his first appearance after the allegations of racism against Anton Ferdinand were put under investigation, he ended up floored, as a calamitous mistake paved the way for a humiliating defeat.

And that is what appears to stick in his craw more than the worst from any loudmouth.

<p id="related" style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; border-collapse: collapse; float: right; width: 140px; position: relative; z-index: 50; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat; ">

Bunny Rabbits

#56   Dr Tobias Fünke

Dr Tobias Fünke
  • LocationLiverpool
  • Fav PlayersLucas Leiva
  • SupportsLiverpool

Posted 08 January 2012 - 12:48 AM

I meant on the club as a whole but I agree with you

Posted Image

#57   LoveTheClub

LoveTheClub
  • Fav PlayersTheirry Henry, Zidane
  • SupportsArsenal FC

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:31 PM

Let's not do this again, lads. There is absolutely no proof whatsoever for either argument, so it's completely pointless to defend or condemn anyone. Leave it alone and talk about the game. Piksi, the personal insult was uncalled for. Verbal warning. Robin Van Perfect, I realise that your post was a joke, but it's only going to cause trouble. Again, verbal warning. By all means feel free to comment on any future developments, but no sooner.

There aren't any Oldham fans on the forum, so congratulations on the win, Liverpool.

I fail to see the absolute point of having threads in this forum instead of their individual forums if I get warning for a post like that. I do understand I made it with bit of tonque in cheek but warning seriously? I couldn't have being WUMing since Liverpool have convincingly won the match. We don't need to have solid proof of everything we discuss. There's enough proof that merits bit of discussion on this issue. Newspapers put it up but we ignore to discuss the issue until FA have confirmed and taken action? What's the point of discussion at that point :facepalm: