TIKI-TAKA

Bringing you the beautiful game

Playstation 3

389 replies to this topic

#301   Matieo

Matieo
  • Fav PlayersCristian Săpunaru

Posted 12 June 2011 - 01:58 AM

Man, I'd definitely take echochrome, great game, the ins and outs of paradoxes and all that. Hustle Kings is probably a good one aswell, especially for pool fans. The Last Guy, zombie game, from what I remember the demo wasn't very thrilling - Dead Nation clearly the better option over to the west. Loco Roco's a bit of a kiddy game, like Patapon *takes out stake and cross* no fanboys in here, do we? good.

#302   Matieo

Matieo

Posted 28 June 2011 - 07:35 PM

The Evolution of the PlayStation Control Pad

It's perhaps the most iconic design in the world of game controllers, and definitely the longest-serving. Today in Total Recall, we look back at over 15 years of PlayStation control pads.

The primary PlayStation controller's basic appearance has survived with only minor changes since it accompanied the first console to the marketplace all the way back in 1994. Considering some companies radically change their pads every console, which can mean every 4-5 years, Sony's persistence (which some will call stubbornness) has resulted in a controller design which anyone familiar with a PlayStation pad since the mid-90s can pick up and be instantly at home with.

Alongside its iconic "handlebar" shape, PlayStation controllers have also become known for their use of symbols to mark their face buttons in place of letters. Sony's Teiyu Goto, the man who designed the controller, says "Other game companies at the time assigned alphabet letters or colors to the buttons. We wanted something simple to remember, which is why we went with icons or symbols, and I came up with the triangle-circle-X-square combination immediately afterward. I gave each symbol a meaning and a color."

"The triangle refers to viewpoint; I had it represent one's head or direction and made it green. Square refers to a piece of paper; I had it represent menus or documents and made it pink. The circle and X represent 'yes' or 'no' decision-making and I made them red and blue respectively. People thought those colors were mixed up, and I had to reinforce to management that that's what I wanted."

Man, I had completely forgotten about that. I remember reading it a long long time ago in EGM. It really is a great concept, and one that I think set Sony apart from Nintendo when it came to the older gamer demographic at the time.

Full Article

#303   Matieo

Matieo

Posted 05 July 2011 - 04:50 AM

Who wants another month of PS Plus free?

1. Make sure your free month is expired.

2. Go to the playstation store

3. Click the PSN plus promo that says EA DEALS - FINAL WEEK!

4. Click the tab that says Playstation plus

5. The third Icon down should say free month of playstation plus. Click it. Redeem it.

My free month wasn't expired, though, I don't think. Still worked. Dunno if this works outside of NA, but you guys in the UK/EU should try anyways.

#304   Resurrección

Resurrección
  • Supporters
  • SupportsClaudia Cardinale

Posted 23 August 2011 - 09:51 PM

I haven't touched my PS3 in weeks or even months, but that's about to change! This week Deus Ex is coming out and I'm a 100% convinced that it is going to be absolutely fantastic. Apparently it takes a really long time to complete the game and there are five or more solutions to almost all problems, even plenty of different ways to win boss fights. There's a trophy for finishing the game without killing a single person, just to show how much variation the game offers. Anyone else looking forward to it?

Derek

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

#305   Zin

Zin
  • Spain Moderators
  • LocationMississippi
  • Fav PlayersAbidal, Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, Pique, Neymar
  • SupportsFC Barcelona

Posted 23 August 2011 - 10:26 PM

I know nothing about it. Convince me, Derka.

!!!! I AM TOTALLY KEVIN !!!!

And who are you , the proud lord said, that I must bow so low?
Tiki-Taka Best Moderator of 2012
Tiki-Taka Best Thread "At the Bar" of 2012

#306   Nando89

Nando89
  • SupportsPorto, Portugal, USMNT

Posted 23 August 2011 - 10:42 PM

It has me interested. I might pick it up next summer when it's cheap and I have some time.

#307   GZA

GZA

Posted 23 August 2011 - 11:27 PM

I've played it for the 360. I didn't find it very entertaining.

Posted Image

#308   Resurrección

Resurrección
  • Supporters
  • SupportsClaudia Cardinale

Posted 26 August 2011 - 07:36 PM

I know nothing about it. Convince me, Derka.

Metal Gear Solid meets Mass Effect in First Person

Derek

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

#309   Zin

Zin
  • Spain Moderators
  • LocationMississippi
  • SupportsFC Barcelona

Posted 26 August 2011 - 08:23 PM

Haven't played either. Not convinced. :D

#310   xaviesta

xaviesta
  • LocationLand of Lincoln
  • Fav PlayersAll the Barca players past and present
  • SupportsPep Guardiola's Dream Team

Posted 26 August 2011 - 09:12 PM

Mass Effect 2 is the shit. I would have to disagree with the Metal Gear Comparisosn because Metal Gear involves more stealth.
follow me at @eduardogsr1990
thebenchwarmerschicago.wordpress.com

#311   nakuu

nakuu
  • SupportsOlympique de Marseille, CanWNT

Posted 27 August 2011 - 02:25 AM

I've been trying to find a decent RPG to play so i decided to buy Oblivion: Elder scrolls (mostly cause it was cheap). I'm not that fond of the fighting system... mostly cause i keep dying :P and my god, the graphics are horrible for a ps3 game.

#312   Zin

Zin
  • Spain Moderators
  • LocationMississippi
  • SupportsFC Barcelona

Posted 27 August 2011 - 03:15 AM

It also came out in 2006...so a lot of the games hadn't yet exploited the true potential and power of the PS3 system.

#313   GZA

GZA

Posted 27 August 2011 - 03:45 AM

I've been trying to find a decent RPG to play so i decided to buy Oblivion: Elder scrolls (mostly cause it was cheap). I'm not that fond of the fighting system... mostly cause i keep dying :P and my god, the graphics are horrible for a ps3 game.

You should try one of the Dragon Age games.

Posted Image

#314   nakuu

nakuu
  • SupportsOlympique de Marseille, CanWNT

Posted 27 August 2011 - 09:29 PM

It also came out in 2006...so a lot of the games hadn't yet exploited the true potential and power of the PS3 system.

I realise that although i'm expectin the new oblivion to be much better :P

You should try one of the Dragon Age games.

Maybe i should've picked that instead, i find oblivion a bit difficult and the fighting system is a bit boring (or maybe i haven't really gotten into the game yet...)

#315   GZA

GZA

Posted 28 August 2011 - 01:31 AM

Maybe i should've picked that instead, i find oblivion a bit difficult and the fighting system is a bit boring (or maybe i haven't really gotten into the game yet...)

I do believe Dragon Age addresses both of the problems you're having with Oblivion. First the fighting system is very basic. One of the buttons(I forget now but I think it's A(X for PS3) is a general attack and you use the rest of the buttons X(Square), Y(Trinagle), and B(Circle) to map your abilities to. As you progress you'll learn more then three abilities so by holding down right trigger(R1 or R2 on PS3) you get three more slots to put your abilities. You switch between any of the characters in your party by pressing right and left bumper and use their abilities the same way. Potions and such is accessed on the fly using left trigger.

When I downloaded the game I was expecting something similiar to Oblivion and was pleasantly surprised at how nice and un-RPG like it was.

They also let you change the difficulty of the game at any point. For instance I was playing on one of the harder difficulties up until one of the bosses that leads you into the final quest chain in the game and after buying all of the best equipment for my party and trying everything I could I just went into the menu pulled the difficulty down one notch and went on my way.

I think it might mess with achievements though if you're after those.

Posted Image