Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:03 AM
Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:21 AM
Oh man, what a season!
I thought the match tonight was pretty average all around. Braga didn't come to play football and didn't let us either, so I'm glad we were able to get that goal just before half-time. It was a brilliant goal too, wonderful cross and then it was vintage Falcao. Stunning header.
We just controlled the second-half and deservedly won this competition. Massive credit to the man in my avatar for building this absolute football machine. I can't wait to play in the CL next year, hopefully still with Falcao and Hulk.
Congrats meda, and to all you other Porto fans out there!
Baby, I think I wanna marry you.
Posted 19 May 2011 - 02:18 AM
Posted 19 May 2011 - 06:15 AM
Amazing. Just amazing.
If you're Portista then you know the feeling, I'll leave that at that.
I know the feeling
Congrats Porto fans! Good luck getting that treble next week!
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:48 AM
Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:35 PM
1. My first trip to the new Lansdowne Road stadium and it's bloody magnificent.
2. Hulk is an awesome player. His first touch to control and second touch to initiate a dribble is simply phenomenal to watch.
3. Falcao was brutal outside the penalty box. His control and hold up and link play were awful....conversely, when the ball is crossed into the box, he will run through brick walls to get on the end of it.
4. Guarain clearly has a great technique, should have imposed himself more on the game...great cross for the goal though
5. Falcao is technically as good in the air as anyone else around...if not better.
6. Braga were clearly very nervous in the first half...saying that, Hugo Viana put in as useless a 45 minutes of football as I have ever seen
7. Bragas number 3 was immense. Gigantic defender, bossed Falcao for most of the game and has blistering pace.
8. Portos right back should have been sent off for a second booking. I wouldnt say the ref was totally pro Porto, but they did seem to get more 50-50 fouls than Braga did. The trip on the Braga 8 off the ball (Mansarro?) being missed by the lino was criminal
9. Speaking of the number 8, that miss at the start of the second half was a poor finish.
10. The fans of both clubs were fantastic. Braga were probably outnumbered 3 or 4 to 1, but they still brought some noise, but the Porto fans were almost deafening at times and the Tifo displays were class
11. Falcao may have decided the game but he was nowhere near Man of the Match. I now believe that sponsors who hand this out dont actually know anything about football and just give it to the goalscorers or the names they know.
12. Bragas play was probably best typified by the pattern of moment of nice play to get a winger/forward into a good position, followed by a rubbish cross or an appalling decision being made.
13. Does Hulk score from 30 yards often? His 2 efforts last night were dreadful
14. I was impressed with my namesake, Alan, for Braga. Other than his corner near the end of course which was brutal. His control and decision making were very impressive considering Braga were struggling to break down Porto but he rarely gave the ball away or did the wrong thing.
15. I kinda wanted Braga to score with their late pressure, but I'm glad they didnt....got home at 2 this morning and had work at 8.30....it's been a long day and I'm only at lunch time Extra time and penalties would probably have resulted in me dying in a car crash on my way home!
Edited by 0, 19 May 2011 - 12:35 PM.
Posted 19 May 2011 - 06:25 PM
Just to sort've answer/concur with some of the things you've questioned/stated:
2. Hulk is an awesome player. - sure is not for €16m though
3. Falcao was brutal outside the penalty box. - yeah, not sure why he got MOTM either, other than the fact that he scored the winning goal, and a great one at that. As for his play, well it wasn't exactly out of the ordinary for how deep Varela and Hulk were, who're Falcao's main supporting players, considering Braga's tactics (which I touch on in the next point). But yeah, he was pretty 'meh' in any case.
7. Bragas number 3 was immense. - aye, Paulao had a terrific game. He sat back quite often sweeping, where as Alberto moved forward to press our players. It was an effective tactic. Braga really impressed me with how vigilant they were in pressing/breaking down our attacks/cutting out our passes, etc.
8. Portos right back should have been sent off for a second booking. I wouldnt say the ref was totally pro Porto, but they did seem to get more 50-50 fouls than Braga did. The trip on the Braga 8 off the ball (Mansarro?) being missed by the lino was criminal - I'm with Wenger on this one, didn't see it although yeah, totally gave Sapunaru the benefit of the doubt there. Agreed on the trip/tug/pull on Mossorro, but at the point I was so annoyed by all the stoppages in play the officiating team were making that I just said fuck it, get on with the game, Braga retained possession aswell IIRC, so.
9. Speaking of the number 8, that miss at the start of the second half was a poor finish. - it really was. Helton masterfully cut the angle there, he can be such an imposing figure between the pipes. Also, I believe Mossorro is right-footed, so from that spot he couldn't have opened up his body to hit it into the far side of goal, which he likes to do rather than smashing the ball with his laces, which he probably should've done once he had the ball just outside the 18y box.
13. Does Hulk score from 30 yards often? - no...
14. I was impressed with my namesake, Alan, for Braga. - I thought he was quite good aswell, or atleast the better of Lima and Paulo Cesar.
Guess I'll give some player ratings, which I haven't done in a while:
Helton  ~ thought he stood tall, not just performance wise, but also as our captain. He had Custodio's effort covered, made one of the biggest saves he's ever had to make against Mossorro, and handled the ball on other occasions like a mother would her child. What can I say about Helton? he's been a huge pillar for our success this season, both on and off the pitch. His positive personality goes a long way, and I'm proud to have him as our captain. Also I thought for a minute there he was going to drop that 15kg trophy but he hang on like a champ.
Sapunaru  ~ I thought he was vicious, our most aggressive defender on the night. Made sure 'em bitches were in thurr places, if ya know what I'm sayin'.
Rolando [5.5] ~ quiet and effective. Not a stand out performance for him.
Otamendi [6.5] ~ great, really great, I thought. Every time I saw him it was a case of him getting the best of Lima, Alan, Viana, or whoever the fuck. I can't remember who he tackled, might've been Lima, but there was that one slide tackle in the first half right infront of our 18y box that just had me chanting his name afterwards: Ota-men-di! Ota-men-di! Ota-men-di! thought he had a solid game, maybe back tracking wasn't his forte last night, but overall great.
Alvaro  ~ quiet, really quiet, and I didn't exactly like that despite having a passing option through the middle he insisted on playing a long ball down the wing to Varela on more than a few occasions. I remember just thinking to myself every time that happened, "O...kay...".
Fernando [5.5] ~ like Rolando, quiet and effective. Made that awful turnover for Mossorro, but other than that did his job.
Moutinho  ~ good match for him, despite playing very deep, infact I saw him in defence more than a few times. Wanted him to get up more, but never got a great opportunity to have the ball that far up the pitch - same with alot of our players, our attacks hardly materialized thanks to Braga, thus Moutinho couldn't of been as effective through the middle.
Guarin  ~ Freddy. Freddy, Freddy, Freddy, Freddy...Freddy *kisses* I love this guy. He's a monster, people. My MOTM.
Varela  ~ reeeeeaal quiet, although the left side was all game long for the most part. He tried that sick overhead kick in the first half, and did manage to dribble past/beat Garcia more often than not. His final pass was lacking, really, and never got a decent chance to lash one at goal.
Hulk [6.5] ~ captivating at times, wasteful at others. Good ol' Hulk.
Falcao  ~ really only because he scored the goal, hahaha.
Don't think I need to mention Belluschi or James' contribution to the match. Belluschi had that one snap shot that fell wide, but other than that a fairly routine task for the two coming in late in the match to keep possession, keep hold of the ball and take seconds off the clock, which they did, so. I want to mention AVB, but I'll leave that for the end of the season discussions in the Porto forum, which I implore whoever's interested to check out
I did though want to respond to one more thing, and I'm a nit picking mother fucker to bring this up, but it was about whoever said this was the best season we've had. Statistically, yes, even I can't remember such a dominant season, although for me personally I don't feel like this is our best. I think the reason for that may be because more things this season became a certainty rather than a probability; call me weird but the prospect of facing an uphill battle or a team better than you AND THEN coming out winners leaves a better a taste in my mouth. I'm not sure if that makes sense, but in any case it also has to do with the team and the time, for me. Back in 2002, the start of the Mourinho era, those were exciting times, because we were fielding this great Portuguese side, who're mostly Portuguese players, and went on to do some historic things, miracles if you will. Then came Euro 2004, an important time for our country, and with the Seleccao full of Porto players it felt special what we did during those years. I was also young, and trying to become a professional footballer myself, so all in all for me personally that was probably a greater era/time for the club and football in general. The consequences/effect of this side we have now I don't think'll be as great, but I still wouldn't trade yesterday or the past season for anything in the world. Just saying that statistics, records, 'n' all that aren't what completely matters when supporting a club, of any kind. Anyways I hope what I said doesn't come off as a downer, it's just my opinion coupled with nostalgia.
Posted 19 May 2011 - 06:44 PM
Posted 20 May 2011 - 09:48 AM