TIKI-TAKA

Bringing you the beautiful game

The Deportivo de La Coruña Thread

Photo
This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
43 replies to this topic

#1   WWN

WWN

Posted 20 October 2009 - 05:14 PM

Posted Image

Brief History: The very beginning

In 1902 José María Abalo, a Coruña local who returned to his hometown after studying in England, introduced football to Corunna. It started when he introduced the game to his group of friends who practiced it in the Bullring; little did they know this sport would turn into a phenomenon.

In 1904, Abalo and his group of friends formed a football team called Coruna. The game reached a new popularity as members of a prestigious gymnasium called Sala Calvet took notice and began to practice this new sport considered "exotic" by the young people of the city. This was the start of football's passage of time in Corunna.

The start of Deportivo
In December 1906 these young men from Sala Calvet gymnasium created their own team called Club Deportivo da Sala Calvet, that in time would become Deportivo de A Coruña. Two and a half years later the club was given the mark of royalty by King Alfonso XIII and from then on would be known as Real Club Deportivo de A Coruña. At the time things were looking up as Deportivo moved into a new stadium called the Riazor (now called the Velho Riazor).

Deportivo turns professional

Deportivo would continue to play in various leagues in Galicia for two decades until 1928, when the Spanish league was formed. Deportivo would fail to achieve qualification for the "Primera División" and so would begin playing in the Segunda División. Deportivo remained in the Segunda División, their greatest achievement eliminating Real Madrid from the Copa del Rey until finally achieving promotion to the Primera División in 1941.

For a century, Coruña has lived through moments of sadness and joy, ups and downs, hope and disillusionment. Through uncertain periods immersed in great debt and relatively unknown; through resounding defeats and epic triumphs, until the greatest moment in Real Club Deportivo de La Coruña's history - the first League title of their history in the season of 1999-2000 - through the Champions League nights at Riazor.

Deportivo has supported a long national rivalry with fellow Galicians the Celta de Vigo due to the geographical situation and with Valencia due to the big duels disputed between both as those of league which is the most remembered of '98 since Deportivo was playing the league against Valencia in the last game, the final of the Copa del Rey of '95 or the "Supercopa de España". To the clash between both was named "El Otro Clasico", referring to the clash between Real Madrid and Barcelona.

Honours:

LIGA: 1 (1999/2000)
LIGA RUNNERS-UP: 5 (1949/1950, 1993/1994, 1994/1995, 2000/2001, 2001/2002)
LIGA THIRD PLACE: 4 (1992/1993, 1996/1997, 2002/2003, 2003/2004)
COPA DEL REY: 2 (1995, 2002)
COPA DEL REY SEMI-FINALS: 4 (1999, 2003, 2006, 2007)
SPANISH SUPERCOPA: 3 (1995, 2000, 2002)
PARTICIPATIONS IN CHAMPIONS LEAGUE: 5 (2000/2001, 2001/2002, 2002/2003, 2003/2004, 2004/2005)
CHAMPIONS LEAGUE SEMI-FINALS: 1 (2003/2004; exit against winners FC Porto)
CHAMPIONS LEAGUE QUARTERFINALS: 2 (2000/2001, 2001/2002)
QUALIFICATION FOR CUP WINNERS' CUP: 1 (1995/1996)
CUP WINNERS' CUP SEMI-FINALS: 1 (1995/1996; exit against winners PSG)
QUALIFICATION FOR UEFA CUP: 5 (1993/1994, 1994/1995, 1997/1998, 1999/2000, 2008/2009)
QUALIFICATION FOR INTERTOTO CUP: 2 (2005, 2008)

Posted Image

Estadio Municipal de Riazor, 34,600 seats

-----------------------

Well I don't really watch La Liga, but for some reason or another I always keep in touch with Deportivo's progress. I just noticed there wasn't a thread, so I figured I'd make one for them. There are so many Deportivo fans around the world and in Spain, and I just think its been great how they have been playing so far this season. They have really improved their defense, and their recent victory against Sevilla showed their potential. I'd like to see them finish in the top 4, if they continue to take it one week at a time, and take advantage of teams like Atletico's current form and continue to stack up the points, then I think its very possible for them to reach the top 4.

So come in here, and discuss anything Deportivo related. Join the lovefest! :wub-1:

#2   Resurrección

Resurrección
  • Supporters
  • SupportsClaudia Cardinale

Posted 20 October 2009 - 06:42 PM

If you watch their games, Sara, then tell me, how do you stay awake?

Depor heavily rely on their defence because their offensive prowes is very limited. They have won four games with a scoreline of 1-0 this season I believe, and three of those goals were very fortunate. I don't want to be a negative nancy though, because I can only praise Lotina and Depor still has some nice players in Filipe, Guardado, Riki and Valerón. They should be able to comfortably avoid the relegation battle, despite their limited resources, and will probably end somewhere between places 6 and 10.

Do you think they can keep their current form up the entire season, Sara?

Derek

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

#3   Slow Show

Slow Show
  • Supporters
  • SupportsReal Madrid

Posted 21 October 2009 - 04:36 PM

I may well end up posting here regularly. Guardado <3

#4   Sergio Lopez

Sergio Lopez
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 22 October 2009 - 05:56 AM

Real Club Deportivo de La Coruña, S.A.D. (in English Royal Sports Club of La Coruna) is a Galician football club from A Coruña, member of the LFP. The club was founded in 1906, and holds home games at the Riazor, with a capacity of 34,600 spectators. They are the most successful football club in Galicia, having won one La Liga title, two Spanish Cups, and three Spanish Super Cups. They have also participated in the Uefa Champions League five times and also the Uefa Cup another five times. They hold a national rivalry with fellow Galicians R.C. Celta de Vigo, and traditionally play in blue and white striped shirts with blue shorts and socks.

Squad list:

GK: Daniel Aranzubia, Manu Muniz,
RB: Manuel Pablo, Adrian 'Piscu' Lopez,
LB: Filipe Luis, Brayan Angulo,
CB: Alberto Lopo, Diego Colotto, Jose 'Ze' Castro, Laure Ruiz,
CM: Sergio Gonzales, Juliano 'Juca', Juan Rodriguez, Antonio Tomás,
RM: Pablo Alvarez,
LM: Andrés Guardado, Iván Pérez,
CA: Juan Carlos Valerón,
CF: Iván Riki, Lassad Nouioui, Miguel Mista, Rodolfo Bodipo, Adrian Lopez.

Captains: Manuel Pablo, Juan Carlos Valerón, Sergio Gonzales.

#5   WWN

WWN

Posted 22 October 2009 - 03:29 PM

If you watch their games, Sara, then tell me, how do you stay awake?

I think we have different definitions of what entertaining football is, Derek. I watched Valencia vs. Barca this past weekend, and I think if that is suppose to be entertaining football then I really don't want to see more of that either. I think what is entertaining is when I get to watch a good collective effort. Deportivo might not have the stars that even they use to have in the past, but every game they play with 100% effort. I admire teams like that, even their defeats so far have been respectable. No one who watches Deportivo can say that those players didn't leave everything they had on that pitch, and I think that is what keeps me in tune with their results and makes me watch their matches. I read a phrase that described them well recently, Deportivo is like “Ten Gatussos and one goalkeeper”.

Depor heavily rely on their defence because their offensive prowes is very limited. They have won four games with a scoreline of 1-0 this season I believe, and three of those goals were very fortunate. I don't want to be a negative nancy though, because I can only praise Lotina and Depor still has some nice players in Filipe, Guardado, Riki and Valerón. They should be able to comfortably avoid the relegation battle, despite their limited resources, and will probably end somewhere between places 6 and 10.

I think you are underestimating their coaching staff and their mentality on the pitch. I think its obvious that they don't have the financial capabilties, but what they lack in terms of quality players they make up for with their amazing coaching staff and their mentality on the pitch. You were quick to point out there 1-0 scorelines but so far, but what about their performances against Espanyol and Real in the season opener? Did you or anyone else that watched these particular games and walk away saying Deportivo is incapable of competing on this level? They were outclassed but they never give up on themselves. They keep pushing and motivate each other on the pitch, which makes their shortcomings admirable as well. I mean what else can someone ask when the team that they like give everything they have on the pitch. I think their fighting/winning mentality will go a long way this season. I know Lotina emphasizes that mentality and overall they have that advantage over other teams.

Do you think they can keep their current form up the entire season, Sara?

I really do. I think if Lotina experiments with his forwards a bit, they can find something that works a little better for them. All I'm saying is, don't underestimate Deportivo, because they see an opportunity to fight for that 4th Champions League spot and with little to distract them from their goal, they will do everything possible to fight for this spot. I know its only October, but this is the goal and I think its an ambitious one plus the other usual contenders for the top 4 are off underachieving and fucking up somewhere, so why the hell not? One game at a time though, they have Valladolid this weekend which tends to be a difficult game for them so if they can continue to stay focused and keep their 'mentality' then its very possible that they surprise everyone this season.

#6   WWN

WWN

Posted 26 October 2009 - 09:12 PM

Smoke and Mirrors. I think even I got into the hype a little bit, but this weekend we all realized that it was just that hype. The defense collapsed, and after the first goal, the entire team fell apart. My Tv stadion also decided to have technical difficulties, so we were spared of 20 minutes of the second half in the United States atleast. Losing is not a big deal, but 4-0 says alot about the team. They are just a small team with limited quality that have been allowed to push so high on the table, but all that will change soon like it does every season.

On a lighter note,did anyone else see that goal by Medunjanin? That was just amazing, good to see him perform on some level.

#7   Sergio Lopez

Sergio Lopez
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 04 November 2009 - 08:46 AM

Deportivo La Coruna coach Lotina won't demand January signings :g:
04.11.09 | tribalfootball.com

Deportivo La Coruna coach Miguel Angel Lotina insists he won't push for new winter market signings. Lotina has concerns after losing Angel Lafita and Joan Verdu late in the summer transfer window.

But he says: "It is not the time to ask (signings) publicly because the locker room deserves respect. I know where the team can improve and it is my duty is to get the most from them. All squads can be improved, including Barcelona and Real Madrid."

P.S. La Coruna club is doing well & there is no shame losing, even 4:0 as the squad isn't strong, but because of team's work Deportivo are flying high. :thumbsup:

#8   WWN

WWN

Posted 06 November 2009 - 10:30 PM

Preview of the Game

Lotina’s plans of repeating the lineup that drew against Sporting are now in the past, because striker Lassad Nouioui suffered a last-minute hamstring injury and was left out of the match. His replacement will be Miguel Angel Ferrer ‘Mista’. The Murcian attacker has only played four games on this liga season, but this is his first appearance as starter, though he was part of the starting eleven that played in Copa against Real Murcia.

He made a good job back in that game and precisely that’s the reason why Lotina has decided to use him again as a playmaker. Riki will face his former club and will play one more time as the central attacker, while Mexican Andrés Guardado will stay on the left wing and Juan Rodriguez will repeat his appearance at the right side. The couple at midfield will still Sergio-Antonio Tomás

The defensive line will be the same one used by Lotina within the last six liga encounters, Daniel Aranzubia will be at the goal, Manuel Pablo will play at the right-back position, Albert Lopo and Diego Colotto will keep covering the central positions and Filipe Luis will perform on the left side. The Brazilian is fulfilling 100 games in liga.

Together with Lassad, the other player at the injury room is Brazilian midfielder Juca, while left-back Angulo, midfielder Iván Pérez and central defender Adrián López ‘Piscu’ are out again for technical reasons. The trio should be back for the Copa game against Murcia. Meanwhile, Bodipo returns to the list of picked player as the Equatoguinean replaces Lassad at Depor’ bench

Albert Lopo was giving his impressions about the game, “The team is fine, this no matter that our latest results didn’t mean a satisfaction for us. We are going to Getafe in order to win the match and continue in the line we were before. Depor is feeling comfortable playing in and outside home; we have a very clear idea though sometimes the result depends in how the rival faces the game. We always go out to score a goal and be calmed, then to search for the second, but we never try to score one goal and then spend the time locked at the back zone.”

List of picked players (18): Aranzubia, Manu (goalkeepers); Laure, Manuel Pablo, Lopo, Zé Castro, Colotto, Filipe (defenders); Juan Rodríguez, Sergio, Antonio Tomás, Pablo Álvarez, Guardado, Valerón (midfielders); Bodipo, Riki, Adrián López and Mista (strikers).

Meanwhile at Getafe, has been criticizing for the attitude of the players during the games, it has been said that the Madrilenians are not giving their best, especially in the matches played away from home. Something clearly demonstrated during the past week after losing at the Bernabéu despite been with one more man during big part of the match against Real Madrid. According to the ‘experts’ the lack of tension is mainly noticed when the team is defending. And the best proof is the number of goals allowed so far: 14. Number that’s the highest among the first eleven places at Primera. Also to notice that Ustari is the second keeper with more saves in la liga (41) –Aranzubia has 32-, which demonstrates that the defensive line is having a lot of work.

Also, coach Michel has been questioned because despite the problems in defence, he is not making changes trying to find the solution. In this sense players like left-backs Franck Signorino and Lucas Licht haven’t debuted yet on this season, while midfielder Javier Casquero has been out of the lineups within the last two liga matches, in attack ex-Sevilla striker Kepa Blanco is also waiting for his first game in liga. Apparently Michel has personal differences with all of them and could be forced to leave during the winter window (only Casquero was picked for Depor’s game), situation that might be creating tension inside the squad.

The attacking line is the most interesting one, ex-Valladolid Pedro Leon will cover the right wing, the Murcian already gave a lot of troubles to Depor during the past season, while another doubt is who will cover the left position, the two alternatives are Jaime Gavilán and Manu del Moral. The playmaking function will be for Daniel Parejo and the central attacker will be Roberto Soldado, two ex-Real Madrid players that Depor wished to sign.

The only two casualties for the game are David Cortés (muscular) and Fabio Celestini (ankle), this last player got injured on Friday. The midfielder talked to reporters and was admitting that the team isn’t matching the expectations, but at the same time he was saying that there’s no reason to panic, “We must try to change the things, tough it isn’t easy, but I believe there’s enough time to change it , we have enough quality in the team to do it, but we must be patient, we are there, stuck with the rest of teams. We must try to be as always, and what’s wrong must be changed, we are aware of this. A lot of teams know that they are wrong and never change, it’s a virtue to change what you know it’s not right.”

Meanwhile, Soldado was admitting the difficulty of the game, “We are willing to play, because we lost the last game by ourselves. We are wishing to complete a good match at the coliseum, trying to be strong at home, but we know it won’t be easy, because we will face a tough rival, Deportivo, they have 16 points and it’s demonstrating to be a solid rival.”

List of picked players (18: Ustari, Codina (goalkeepers); Cata Diaz, Mané, Belenguer, Mario, Rafa, Miguel Torres (defenders); Gavilán, Pedro Ríos, Parejo, Boateng, Pedro León, Casquero, Adrián González (midfielders); Soldado, Albín and Manu del Moral (strikers).

----------------------

Should be an interesting game, with Getafe's home record this season. I don't like to talk ill of players, but thank fucking god Lassad injuried himself. He is so wasteful and has been so poor this season, it just makes it frustrating to watch him go at it, time and time again. He is just useless on the pitch. Should be interesting game, hopefully things will continue to pick up for them again.

#9   Resurrección

Resurrección
  • Supporters

Posted 07 November 2009 - 09:50 AM

What do you think is Deportivo's strongest XI ?

Derek

#10   Resurrección

Resurrección
  • Supporters

Posted 07 November 2009 - 06:08 PM

I just tuned in for the second half of Getafe - Deportivo. At half time the visitors were leading 0-1, it was former-Pichichi Mista who scored his first of the season when he headed in a Filipe cross (so tells Marca). But Depor are down to ten men, because Riki got two yellows, of which the second apparently was quite controversial.

"60
:goal: Depor, a man down, scores again! Somehow Filipe turns up in the box and easily finishes an attack set up by Guardado and Mista. Mista off for Adrián.

Pedro Léon is spectacular btw. It's amazing how he has adapted so quickly and has become Getafe's best player within months after his arrival this summer.

"72 :redcard: Sergio. Depor down to nine men! And they've been without Riki since the 25th minute. Can they hold on to their (comfortable) lead?

And did I mention coach Lotina was sent off shortly after Riki?

I just noticed Albín's Getafe's captain tonight, nice. He never struck me as a leaderish type. Depor holding on with less than five minutes left.

Full-time: They have done it! Depor take the three points back to Galicia; 0-2.

Derek

#11   Sergio Lopez

Sergio Lopez
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 08 November 2009 - 09:27 AM

What do you think is Deportivo's strongest XI ?

If U ask me, I'd chose:

Aranzubia, Manuel Pablo, Filipe Luis, Lopo, Colotto, Sergio, Juan Rodriguez, Antonio Tomas, Guradado, Lassad, Riki.

When Juca returns from the injury, he would definitly fight for the place in the centre of the park.

#12   WWN

WWN

Posted 08 November 2009 - 11:15 PM

Aranzubía
Pablo---Colotto---Lopo---Filipe
Rodriguez—Sergio---Tomás---Guardado
Lassad/Adrian-Mista/Riki

I think most people would agree on the defense and midfield this season (I like the 4-4-2 ). Defense is't the best in the world, but its sufficient and it gets the job done, they have been doing well so far. As for the midfield, I love Juan Rodriguez and Guardado. I think the problem in the midfield is injuries, the second they start playing well in the midfield, it tends to take blow from what I have seen anyway. But this season, I think even their bench and back up options are good enough so thats good for Deportivo as well.

As for strikers, I don't think they are good enough considering Deportivo's ambitious plans this season. Lassad is coming off injuries, and just isn't a 100% and hasn't really been in form. He is in no condition to handle that role at the moment. Sometimes Riki is okay, but sometimes often gets desperate to get things accomplished and dives, like this weekend. I don't respect or like him to be honest. If Mista can continue to build on the Getafe game, and I don't want to get ahead of myself, then I would love to partner him up with either Adrian or Lassad if he gets healthy again and see if they can become more explosive upfront. I really hope they add perhaps a attacking midfielder or striker this Winter transfer window, that would be brilliant. This team would be one of the better Deportivo sides I have seen for some years, but again its too early to tell. Can't wait to watch the game, I was away all weekend, so I'm gonna watch it in a little bit.

#13   Resurrección

Resurrección
  • Supporters

Posted 09 November 2009 - 06:11 PM

What is Zé Castro's role this season? I"ve always liked that ponytailed chubby Portuguese

Derek

#14   Sergio Lopez

Sergio Lopez
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 10 November 2009 - 05:56 AM

What is Zé Castro's role this season? I"ve always liked that ponytailed chubby Portuguese

Last season Diego Colotto played more & played better in UEFA, but Ze Castro played more in La Liga. Now it's going to be vice versa, but the only Cup Deportivo is participating this year is Copa del Rey... :unsure:

Early this season Ze Castro has played, even being selected in Portugal NT, but then something wrong happened & he has lost his place, while Diego Colotto begun to play more stable & score goals - as usual, from corners & free-kicks - so looked more impressive. :whistling:

#15   WWN

WWN

Posted 10 November 2009 - 06:31 PM

If with "something wrong happened", you mean being dropped from the league, then its accredited to his performance in the defeat against Espanyol game. He was dreadful in this game, and since it's not unusual for Lotina to rotate in players, he lost his spot to Colotto. He hasn't started since that game, and unless there are injuries, I don't think he will win back his starting position anytime soon.

He does get to play in the Copa game today though, plus Lopo has picked up a minor injury, so you never know what will happen this weekend. I really hope it doesnt come down to that, Lopo is the best.